Princess Estelle, Duchess of Östergötland
|Duchess of Östergötland|
Estelle prior to the wedding of her aunt Madeleine on 8 June 2013
23 February 2012 |
Karolinska University Hospital,
|House||House of Bernadotte|
|Mother||Victoria, Crown Princess of Sweden|
|Religion||Church of Sweden|
|Swedish Royal Family|
Princess Estelle, Duchess of Östergötland (Estelle Silvia Ewa Mary; born 23 February 2012), is the only child of Crown Princess Victoria of Sweden and Prince Daniel, Duke of Västergötland. She is the first grandchild of King Carl XVI Gustaf, and is second in line of succession to the Swedish throne.
Estelle was born at 04:26 CET on 23 February 2012. She weighed 3.280 kg (7.23 lb) and was 51 cm (20 in) long at birth. The birth was greeted by two 21-gun salutes on Skeppsholmen island, opposite the royal palace in the capital Stockholm. Her names and title were announced on 24 February 2012 by her maternal grandfather, The King. The father of the princess registered his legal surname as Bernadotte after marrying her mother who belongs to that royal dynasty. Princess Estelle, like other members of the royal family, does not have a surname.
There has been speculation that Estelle was given her name in honor of Countess Estelle Bernadotte (1904–1984), the American wife of Count Folke Bernadotte. On 24 February 2012, the King announced the name at a cabinet meeting saying that the name Estelle is very close to the heart of her mother and also the family. Countess Estelle Bernadotte's son Folke Bernadotte Jr. said in an interview that he is very honoured that Estelle was (as he assumes) named after his mother, and that the royal family had a special relationship to her and her charity work.
Prior to the official announcement of her name and title, an error resulted in the royal website displaying the false name and title Ulrika Marianna Annika David - Duchess of Upplands Väsby which was later removed. The staff eventually revealed the reason was that they were testing the system.
Estelle was christened on 22 May 2012 at the Royal Chapel of Stockholm Palace in Stockholm, Sweden. Her godparents were her maternal uncle, the Duke of Värmland; her paternal aunt, Anna Westling-Söderström; the then-Prince of Orange ; the Crown Princess of Denmark; and the Crown Prince of Norway. She was christened in the family's antique christening gown which was first worn by Prince Gustaf Adolf when he was christened in 1906. Her name and date of christening was added in embroidery to the gown. On the date of the christening, a limited-edition prayer book titled Princess Estelle's Prayerbook (Swedish: Prinsessan Estelles bönbok) was released and published.
Estelle is second in the line of succession to the Swedish throne. Princess Estelle is the first female in Swedish history to be born with a right to inherit the crown that cannot be superseded by the birth of a male heir, as well as the first person in Swedish history to be born of a female heir apparent. The only two princesses of Sweden to be born first in line for the throne were heir presumptive at their birth: Christina (who eventually became queen regnant) and Hedwig Sophia (who was superseded by a younger brother).
Education and royal functions
As second in line to the Swedish throne, Estelle has been in the public eye since birth. On 17 May 2014, two-year-old Estelle undertook her first official engagement, which was inaugurating a fairytale path, named in her honour as "Duchess Estelle's Fairytale Path" in Tåkern, Östergötland. At the time of her christening, she was presented with a miniature swan and certificate to the trail indicating that that in the future she would perform official engagements there. She also visited Linköping Castle, where she was received by Elisabeth Nilsson, Kristina Zetterström and Ann-Catrine Hjerdt, the mayor of Linköping.
Estelle attended the wedding of her aunt, Princess Madeleine, Duchess of Hälsingland and Gästrikland and Christopher O'Neill on 8 June 2013. She attended the christening of her cousin the Duchess of Gotland on 8 June 2014.
On 30 July 2014 Crown Princess Victoria and Estelle visited Sollidens castle.
On 25 August 2014, Estelle started preschool at Äventyret Preschool in Danderyd Municipality, Stockholm. The Äventyret Preschool was founded in 1992 and uses the Ur & Skur outdoor teaching methods to teach children about nature and to convey a sense of the natural world. Äventyret means adventure in Swedish.
On 13 June 2015, Estelle served as a bridesmaid at the wedding of her maternal uncle.
Titles, styles, and honours
Titles and styles
Estelle is styled as: Her Royal Highness Princess Estelle of Sweden, Duchess of Östergötland.
Swedish appointments and honours
- Sweden :
- Member of the Royal Order of the Seraphim (23 February 2012, presented 22 May 2012).
- Commemorative Ruby Jubilee Medal of His Majesty The King (15 September 2013).
|Ancestors of Princess Estelle, Duchess of Östergötland|
- "Kronprinsessan och Prins Daniel har fått en dotter" (Press release) (in Swedish). Royal Court of Sweden. 23 February 2012. Retrieved 25 February 2012.
- "Kronprinsessan och Prins Daniel har fått en dotter" (Press release) (in Swedish). Royal Court of Sweden. 23 February 2012. Retrieved 18 July 2015.
- "Sweden's Princess Victoria gives birth to baby daughter". BBC News. 23 February 2012. Retrieved 25 November 2014.
- "Princess Estelle Silvia Ewa Mary, Duchess of Östergötland" (Press release). Royal Court of Sweden. 24 February 2012. Retrieved 25 February 2012.
- Princess Estelle skirts Swedish naming laws, The Local, 24 March 2012.[dead link]
- Namnvalet Estelle väcker reaktioner, Dagens Nyheter, 24 February 2012.
- Estelle is Sweden's first royal baby in 30 years, Reuters, 24 February 2012.[dead link]
- Prinsessan döps efter hans mor, Upsala Nya Tidning, 25 February 2012.
- "'Her name is Estelle': King Carl XVI Gustaf".
- "Princess Ulrika Marianne Annika David, duchess of Upplands Väsby.".
- "Estelle Silvia Ewa Mary, Swedish Royal Heir, Baptized (PHOTOS)". Huffingtonpost.com. 2012-05-22. Retrieved 2014-05-17.
- "Official site". Retrieved 21 October 2014.
- "Kronprinsessan närvarade vid lanseringen av Prinsessan Estelles bönbok".
- Nudd, Tim (23 February 2012). "Sweden's Crown Princess Victoria Has a Baby Girl". People. Retrieved 23 February 2012.
- Lagerqvist & Åberg in Kings and Rulers of Sweden ISBN 91-87064-35-9
- "Sagostig vid Tåkern till Prinsessan Estelles ära".
- "Google-kääntäjä" (in Finnish). Translate.google.com. Retrieved 2014-05-17.
- "Crownprincess Victoria, Prince Daniel and Princess Estelle open Crownprincess Victoria, Prince Daniel and Princess Estelle open Fairytale Path - Monarchy Press Europe". Dutchphotopress.com. Retrieved 2014-05-17.
- "Estelle's visit". Retrieved 31 July 2014.
- "Princess Estelle starts preschool". Retrieved 26 August 2014.
- "Princess Estelle of Sweden shines on first day of nursery". Retrieved 27 August 2014.
- Swedish Monarchy Website, Photos after the granting and on the way out at the end of the christening.
- "Fotografía LA PRINCESA ESTELLE, ESTRELLA DEL 40 ANIVERSARIO DE SU ABUELO, EL REY CARLOS GUSTAVO DE SUECIA 66063" (in Spanish). Europapress.es. Retrieved 2014-05-17.
- Royal Court of Sweden- Princess Estelle
- Media related to Princess Estelle of Sweden at Wikimedia Commons
Princess Estelle, Duchess of ÖstergötlandBorn: 23 February 2012
Title last held byPrince Carl
|Duchess of Östergötland
|Lines of succession|
The Crown Princess
|Line of succession to the Swedish throne
The Duke of Värmland