Princess Estelle, Duchess of Östergötland
|Duchess of Östergötland|
Princess Estelle in June 2019
|Born||23 February 2012|
Karolinska University Hospital, Solna, Sweden
|Mother||Victoria, Crown Princess of Sweden|
Princess Estelle of Sweden, Duchess of Östergötland (Estelle Silvia Ewa Mary; born 23 February 2012), is the elder child and only daughter of Crown Princess Victoria and Prince Daniel, Duke of Västergötland. She is the eldest grandchild of King Carl XVI Gustaf, and is second in line of succession to the Swedish throne.
Princess Estelle was born to Crown Princess Victoria and Prince Daniel at 04:26 CET on 23 February 2012 at the Karolinska University Hospital in Solna. The birth was greeted by two 21-gun salutes on the island Skeppsholmen, opposite the Royal Palace in the capital Stockholm. Her names and title were announced on 24 February 2012 by her grandfather King Carl XVI Gustaf at a cabinet meeting. After the cabinet meeting, a Te Deum was held in the palace's royal chapel. Prior to the official announcement of her name and title, an error resulted in the royal website displaying the false name and title Ulrika Marianna Annika David - Duchess of Upplands Väsby which was later removed. The staff eventually revealed the reason was that they were testing the system.
Estelle was baptised on 22 May 2012 at the Royal Chapel of Stockholm Palace in Stockholm, Sweden. Her godparents were her maternal uncle, Prince Carl Philip of Sweden; her paternal aunt, Anna Westling-Söderström; Willem-Alexander, the then-Prince of Orange; Crown Princess Mary of Denmark (for whom she was given her fourth name); and Crown Prince Haakon of Norway. She was baptised in the family's antique baptismal gown which was first worn by Prince Gustaf Adolf when he was baptised in 1906. Her name and date of the baptism were added in embroidery to the gown. On the date of the baptism, a limited-edition prayer book titled Princess Estelle's Prayerbook (Swedish: Prinsessan Estelles bönbok) was released and published.
Princess Estelle is second in the line of succession to the Swedish throne and the first female in Swedish history to be born with a right to inherit the crown that cannot be superseded by the birth of a male heir, as well as the first person in Swedish history to be born of a female heir apparent. The only two princesses of Sweden to be born first in line for the throne were heir presumptive at their birth: Christina (who eventually became queen regnant) and Hedwig Sophia (who was superseded by a younger brother).
Education and royal functions
As second in line to the Swedish throne, Princess Estelle has been in the public eye since birth. On 17 May 2014, two-year-old Princess Estelle inaugurated a fairytale path, named in her honour as "Duchess Estelle's Fairytale Path" in Tåkern, Östergötland. At the time of her christening, she was presented with a miniature swan and certificate to the trail indicating that in the future she would perform official engagements there. She also visited Linköping Castle, where she was received by Elisabeth Nilsson, Kristina Zetterström and Ann-Catrine Hjerdt, the mayor of Linköping.
On 2 January 2020, according to an article by Hayley Richardson for the Daily Mail, while skiing with her family and celebrating the New Year, Princess Estelle sustained a fracture to a leg, which did necessitate a visit to a hospital for an X-ray and the use of a cast and crutches, though the injury is believed to be minor, and the Swedish Royal Family did not cancel their holiday. The Princess is accomplished at skiing, which she has done since age 2. However, her mother, Crown Princess Victoria, 42, a parent of 2, will stay with Princess Estelle, and so has decided not to travel to Norway for the funeral of her close friend Ari Behn, who is the former son-in-law of Norway's King Harald. The Royal Court confirmed the news to news outlet Aftonbladet, and in a brief statement given by Margarita Thorgen, head of the Court's Information Department.
Titles, styles, and honours
Titles and styles
Estelle's full title is: Her Royal Highness Princess Estelle Silvia Ewa Mary, Duchess of Östergötland.
Swedish appointments and honours
- Sweden :
- Member of the Royal Order of the Seraphim (LoK av KMO)(23 February 2012, presented 22 May 2012)
- Commemorative Ruby Jubilee Medal of His Majesty The King (CXVIG:sJmtII)(15 September 2013)
- Commemorative 70th Birthday Medal of His Majesty The King (CXVIG:sJmtIII)(30 April 2016)
- Princess Estelle skirts Swedish naming laws, The Local, 24 March 2012. Archived 23 September 2013 at the Wayback Machine
- The father of the princess, Prince Daniel, registered his legal surname as Bernadotte after marrying her mother, Crown Princess Victoria, who belongs to that royal dynasty. Princess Estelle, like other members of the royal family, does not have a surname.
- "Kronprinsessan och Prins Daniel har fått en dotter" (Press release) (in Swedish). Royal Court of Sweden. 23 February 2012. Retrieved 25 February 2012.
- "Kronprinsessan och Prins Daniel har fått en dotter" (Press release) (in Swedish). Royal Court of Sweden. 23 February 2012. Retrieved 18 July 2015.
- "Sweden's Princess Victoria gives birth to baby daughter". BBC News. 23 February 2012. Retrieved 25 November 2014.
- "Princess Estelle Silvia Ewa Mary, Duchess of Östergötland" (Press release). Royal Court of Sweden. 24 February 2012. Retrieved 25 February 2012.
- "'Her name is Estelle': King Carl XVI Gustaf". 24 February 2012.
- "Princess Ulrika Marianne Annika David, duchess of Upplands Väsby". Archived from the original on 3 February 2016.
- "Estelle Silvia Ewa Mary, Swedish Royal Heir, Baptized (PHOTOS)". Huffingtonpost.com. 22 May 2012. Archived from the original on 7 October 2014. Retrieved 17 May 2014.
- "Official site". Retrieved 21 October 2014.
- "Kronprinsessan närvarade vid lanseringen av Prinsessan Estelles bönbok".
- Nudd, Tim (23 February 2012). "Sweden's Crown Princess Victoria Has a Baby Girl". People. Retrieved 23 February 2012.
- Lagerqvist & Åberg in Kings and Rulers of Sweden ISBN 91-87064-35-9
- "Sagostig vid Tåkern till Prinsessan Estelles ära".
- "Google-kääntäjä" (in Finnish). Retrieved 17 May 2014.
- "Crownprincess Victoria, Prince Daniel and Princess Estelle open Crownprincess Victoria, Prince Daniel and Princess Estelle open Fairytale Path - Monarchy Press Europe". Dutchphotopress.com. Retrieved 17 May 2014.
- "Princess Estelle starts preschool". Retrieved 26 August 2014.
- "Sweden's future queen turns seven – see the new images released of Princess Estelle". 23 February 2019.
- "HRH Princess Estelle Silvia Ewa Mary, Duchess of Östergötland" (Press release). Retrieved 17 September 2019.
- Swedish Monarchy Website, Photos after the granting and on the way out at the end of the christening.
- "Fotografía LA PRINCESA ESTELLE, ESTRELLA DEL 40 ANIVERSARIO DE SU ABUELO, EL REY CARLOS GUSTAVO DE SUECIA 66063" (in Spanish). Europapress.es. Retrieved 17 May 2014.
- Royal Court of Sweden- Princess Estelle
- Media related to Princess Estelle, Duchess of Östergötland at Wikimedia Commons
Princess Estelle, Duchess of ÖstergötlandBorn: 23 February 2012
Title last held byPrince Carl
| Duchess of Östergötland
|Lines of succession|
Crown Princess Victoria
| Succession to the Swedish throne
2nd in line