Princess Isabella of Denmark
|Countess of Monpezat|
|Born||21 April 2007|
Rigshospitalet, Copenhagen, Denmark
|Father||Frederik, Crown Prince of Denmark|
|Danish royal family|
Queen Anne-Marie of Greece
|Extended royal family|
Princess Isabella of Denmark, Countess of Monpezat (Isabella Henrietta Ingrid Margrethe; born 21 April 2007) is a member of the Danish royal family. She is the second child and elder daughter of Crown Prince Frederik and Crown Princess Mary.
She is the fourth grandchild and oldest granddaughter of Queen Margrethe II and her husband, the late Prince Henrik. She was the first girl born into the Danish royal family since the birth of her grandaunt, Queen Anne-Marie of Greece, in 1946. She is third in the line of succession to the Danish throne, after her father and her older brother, Prince Christian.
Princess Isabella was born at Rigshospitalet, the Copenhagen University Hospital, in Copenhagen, to Crown Prince Frederik and Crown Princess Mary. At noon on 22 April, a 21-gun salute was fired from the Sixtus Battery at Holmen Naval Base in Copenhagen and from Kronborg Castle in North Zealand to mark her birth.
Isabella's christening took place on 1 July 2007, at the chapel of Fredensborg Palace. Her name was announced as Isabella Henrietta Ingrid Margrethe, after the Danish queen consort and ancestress Isabella of Austria, the princess's maternal grandmother, paternal great-grandmother, and paternal grandmother respectively. Her godparents were her father's first cousin, Princess Alexia of Greece and Denmark; Queen Mathilde of Belgium (then Duchess of Brabant), Nadine Johnston, Christian Buchwald, Peter Heering and Marie Louise Skeel.
Constitutional position and education
On 20 December 2007, as he had done the previous year for Prince Christian, Per Stig Møller, Denmark's Minister for Foreign Affairs, formally wrote and signed a hand-written document confirming Isabella's position as third in the line of succession to the Danish throne. The princess's full name, dates of birth and christening, and the names of her godparents were recorded as dictated by the Royal Law of 1799.
On 13 August 2013, Isabella started school at Tranegårdsskolen in Gentofte, the same public school as her older brother. In January 2020, Isabella and her three siblings initiated a 12-week school stay at Lemania-Verbier International School in Verbier, Switzerland. The stay was eventually cut short and the siblings returned home in March due to the intensification of the COVID-19 situation in Denmark.
Titles and styles
Isabella is styled as Her Royal Highness Princess Isabella of Denmark, Countess of Monpezat. She has been Princess of Denmark since birth and Countess of Monpezat since 29 April 2008, when Queen Margrethe granted the title to her male-line descendants.
- Kongehuset – Aktuelt – Den Kongelige Families Kongehuset.dk (21 May 2010). Retrieved 18 July 2015.
- "Godparents to Her Royal Highness the Princess". Kronprinsparret.dk. 1 June 2007. Archived from the original on 3 December 2011. Retrieved 1 June 2007.
- "H.K.H. Prinsesse Isabella døber Samsøs nye færge kl. 13.45". Retrieved 26 January 2021.
- "Isabella klar til at regere". Retrieved 25 August 2015.
- "Official registration of Isabelle as Heir to the Danish throne". Archived from the original on 23 December 2007. Retrieved 20 December 2007.
- "H.K.H. Prinsesse Isabella". Retrieved 18 January 2019.
- "Kronprinsparrets børn begynder i skole i Schweiz efter nytår" (in Danish). TV 2. Retrieved 15 April 2021.
- "The Crown Prince Family returns home". Danish royal family. Retrieved 15 April 2021.
- "Her Royal Highness Princess Isabella". Danish Royal Court. Retrieved 22 December 2013.
Isabella Henrietta Ingrid Margrethe, Princess of Denmark, Countess of Monpezat...
Princess Isabella of DenmarkBorn: 21 April 2007
|Lines of succession|
Prince Christian of Denmark
| Line of succession to the Danish throne
Prince Vincent of Denmark