Princess Isabella of Denmark
She is the fourth grandchild and oldest granddaughter of Queen Margrethe II and her husband, Prince Henrik. She was the first girl born into the Danish royal family since the birth of her grandaunt, Queen Anne-Marie of Greece, in 1946. The Princess is third in the line of succession to the Danish throne, after her father and her older brother, Prince Christian.
Birth and christening
Princess Isabella was born at Rigshospitalet, the Copenhagen University Hospital, in Copenhagen, to Crown Prince Frederik and Crown Princess Mary. At noon on 22 April, a 21-gun salute was fired from the Sixtus Battery at Holmen Naval Base in Copenhagen and from Kronborg Castle in North Zealand to mark her birth.
Isabella's christening took place on 1 July 2007, at the chapel of Fredensborg Palace. She wore the same christening gown her older brother, Prince Christian, had worn at his christening the year before and that Glücksborg princes and princesses in the main line had worn since the christening of the future King Christian X in 1870. Her name was announced as Isabella Henrietta Ingrid Margrethe, after the Danish queen consort and ancestor Isabella of Austria, the princess's maternal grandmother, paternal great-grandmother, and paternal grandmother respectively. Her godparents were Queen Mathilde of Belgium (then Duchess of Brabant), Princess Alexia of Greece and Denmark, Nadine Johnston, Christian Buchwald, Peter Heering, and Marie Louise Skeel.
Isabella accompanied her parents to New York on 17–21 September 2007 on a visit to promote Denmark's "Creative Nation" initiative, according to court spokesperson Lis M. Frederiksen, because she was still being breastfed.
Constitutional position and education
On 20 December 2007, as he had done the previous year for Prince Christian, Per Stig Møller, Denmark's Minister for Foreign Affairs, formally wrote and signed a hand-written document confirming Isabella's position as third in the line of succession to the Danish throne. The Princess's full name, dates of birth and christening, and the names of her godparents were recorded as dictated by the Royal Law of 1799.
Titles and styles
Isabella is styled as "Her Royal Highness Princess Isabella of Denmark, Countess of Monpezat". She has been Princess of Denmark since birth and Countess of Monpezat since 29 April 2008, when Queen Margrethe granted the title to her male-line descendants.
Honours and decorations
- 11 June 2009: Commemorative 75th Birthday Medal of His Royal Highness The Prince Consort
- 16 April 2010: Commemorative 70th Birthday Medal of Her Majesty The Queen
- 14 January 2012: Commemorative Ruby Jubilee Medal of Her Majesty The Queen
- 16 April 2015: Commemorative 75th Birthday Medal of Her Majesty The Queen
|Ancestors of Princess Isabella of Denmark|
- Kongehuset – Aktuelt – Den Kongelige Familie. Kongehuset.dk (21 May 2010). Retrieved on 18 July 2015.
- "Godparents to Her Royal Highness the Princess". Kronprinsparret.dk. 1 June 2007. Retrieved 1 June 2007.
- "Prins Christian alene hjemme". Billed-Bladet.dk. 23 August 2007. Retrieved 12 September 2007.
- "Isabella klar til at regere". Retrieved 25 August 2015.
- "Official registration of Isabelle as Heir to the Danish throne". Retrieved 20 December 2007.
- "H.K.H. PRINSESSE ISABELLAS SKOLESTART". Retrieved 11 February 2013.
- "Her Royal Highness Princess Isabella". Danish Royal Court. Retrieved 22 December 2013.
Isabella Henrietta Ingrid Margrethe, Princess of Denmark, Countess of Monpezat...
Princess Isabella of DenmarkBorn: 21 April 2007
|Lines of succession|
Prince Christian of Denmark
|Line of succession to the Danish throne
Prince Vincent of Denmark
Prince Vincent of Denmark
|Line of succession to the British throne
descended from Arthur, son of Victoria
Princess Josephine of Denmark