Princess Magdalena Reuss of Köstritz
|Princess Hubertus of Prussia|
|Born||20 August 1920|
Leipzig, Weimar Republic
|Died||10 October 2009 (aged 89)|
Löwenstein Castle, Kleinheubach, Germany
|Spouse||Prince Hubertus of Prussia|
|Issue||Anastasia, Princess of Löwenstein-Wertheim-Rosenberg|
Princess Marie Christine
|House||Reuss Younger Line|
|Father||Prince Heinrich XXXVI Reuss of Köstritz|
|Mother||Princess Hermine of Schönburg-Waldenburg|
Marriage and issue
On 5 June 1943 at Schloss Prillwitz in Potsdam, Magdalena married Prince Hubertus of Prussia, a younger son of William, German Crown Prince and Duchess Cecilie of Mecklenburg-Schwerin. He had previously been married to Baroness Maria Anna von Humboldt-Dachdroeden, whom he divorced the year he married Magdalena.
They had two daughters:
- Princess Anastasia Victoria Cecilia Hermine of Prussia (born February 14, 1944). Married Alois-Konstantin, 9th Prince of Löwenstein-Wertheim-Rosenberg and had issue.
- Princess Marie Christine of Prussia (July 18, 1947–May 29, 1966) who died from injuries resulting from a car accident.
The couple settled briefly in Silesia but were forced to flee west with their infant daughter Anastasia from the advancing Red Army. Hubertus found work managing several wineries in 1947, and the couple had their second daughter that same year. Hubertus moved to south-western Africa in 1950 to begin a new life as a sheep farmer; he chose to leave because it "was a haven of rest far distant from the political turmoil in Germany". Magdalena and their two daughters planned to join him in Windhoek in the summer of that year. Hubertus caught appendicitis and died from peritonitis in April the following year with his wife by his side.
Magdalena moved back to Germany with her two daughters, where she raised them. Anastasia married the Hereditary Prince of Löwenstein-Wertheim-Rosenberg in 1965, and Marie Christine died the next year in a car accident.
Magdalena died on 10 October 2009 at her daughter Anastasia's home. She was the last surviving daughter-in-law of Crown Prince Wilhelm. Magdalena was buried next to her husband at St. Michaels Bastei, near Burg Hohenzollern.
|Ancestors of Princess Magdalena Reuss of Köstritz|
Titles and styles
- 20 August 1920 – 5 June 1943: Her Serene Highness Princess Magdalena Reuss of Köstritz
- 5 June 1943 – 10 October 2009: Her Royal Highness Princess Hubertus of Prussia
- Lundy, Darryl. "The Peerage: Magdalene Pauline Prinzessin Reuss zu Köstritz". Retrieved 6 January 2010.
- Eilers Koenig, Marlene (2009-10-13). "Princess Hubertus of Prussia has died". Royal Musings. Retrieved 7 January 2010.
- "Princess Magdalene of Prussia has Died". The Royal Forums. 2009-10-12. Retrieved 7 January 2010.
- "Kaiser's Grandson Weds", The New York Times, Berne, Switzerland, 9 June 1943
- Eilers Koenig, Marlene. "If circumstances had been different ..." The Royal Forums. Retrieved 7 January 2010.