Princess Mako of Akishino
At the new year congratulatory imperial palace visit. 2 January 2012
23 October 1991 |
Imperial Household Agency Hospital, Tokyo, Japan
|House||Imperial House of Japan|
|Father||Fumihito, Prince Akishino|
|Mother||Kiko, Princess Akishino|
|Japanese Imperial Family|
Princess Mako of Akishino (眞子内親王 Mako Naishinnō?, born 23 October 1991) is the elder daughter of Fumihito, Prince Akishino and Kiko, Princess Akishino, and a member of the Japanese Imperial Family. She is the first-born granddaughter of the reigning Emperor Akihito and Empress Michiko.
Childhood and adolescence
Princess Mako was educated at the prestigious Gakushuin School in her primary, junior high, and high school years. She studied English at University College Dublin in 2010 and the University of Edinburgh in 2012. She graduated from the International Christian University in Tokyo on 26 March 2014 with a degree in Art and Cultural Heritage.
She has been something of an internet idol since 2004, when images of her in sailor fuku appeared on television. An image repository was set up, and a video featuring fanart of Princess Mako was uploaded onto the popular video-sharing website Nico Nico Douga, attracting over 340,000 views and 86,000 comments. The Imperial Household Agency, responding to a request for comment, stated that they are not sure how they should handle this phenomenon, since they see no signs of slander or insults against the Imperial Family.
In August 2006 she visited Austria for two weeks on a school-sponsored homestay program and later that year accompanied her father Prince Akishino, to participate in her first official function – a religious ceremony at the Ise Shrine. Princess Mako has a younger sister, Princess Kako, and a younger brother, Prince Hisahito.
In 2011, Mako came of age and was conferred Grand Cordon of the Order of the Precious Crown in October of the same year. Since then, She has been attending official events as an adult member of the Imperial Family.
She graduated from the Division of Arts and Science, the College of Liberal Arts, International Christian University in March 2014. On 17 September 2014, Princess Mako took off for the United Kingdom. She will study museology at Graduate School of University of Leicester for a year.
She is able to communicate using Japanese sign language like her mother who is interested in the deaf community.
Titles and styles
Princess Mako of Akishino
|Reference style||Her Imperial Highness|
|Spoken style||Your Imperial Highness|
Mako is styled as "Her Imperial Highness Princess Mako of Akishino".
|Ancestors of Princess Mako of Akishino|
- . Irish Times Japanese royal to spend time in Dublin studying English. 2010/6/18.
- "Japan’s Princess Mako to study at Edinburgh University". deadlinenews.co.uk.
- "Princess Mako describes life at British university as 'fruitful' - The Japan Times". The Japan Times.
- "Hosting royalty". ed.ac.uk. 4 June 2013.
- "Princess Mako Graduates University". The Royal Forums.
- "Their Imperial Highnesses Prince and Princess Akishino and their famly - The Imperial Household Agency". kunaicho.go.jp.
- ネットで大人気「眞子様萌え」！ 宮内庁は困惑気味？. Yahoo! Netallica. 2008/6/15.
- "Princess Mako off to Austria". The Japan Times.
- "Japan's Princess Mako turns 20 and becomes newest adult member of Imperial Family". Telegraph.co.uk. 24 October 2011.
- "Princess Mako celebrates her graduation from university". Royalista.
- "Princess Mako leaves for one year of study in England ‹ Japan Today: Japan News and Discussion". japantoday.com.
- "Image of Mako sign language".
- Régine. "Les 20 ans de la princesse Mako du Japon". Noblesse & Royautés.
"Their Imperial Highnesses Prince and Princess Akishino and their family". Imperial Household Agency.
Princess Mako of AkishinoBorn: 23 October 1991
|Order of precedence in Japan|
The Princess Toshi
HIH Princess Mako of Akishino
Princess Kako of Akishino