Princess Maria Anna of Braganza
|Maria Anna of Braganza|
|Princess of Thurn and Taxis|
|Born||3 September 1899|
Schloss Fischhorn, Zell am See, Salzburg, Austria–Hungary
|Died||23 June 1971 (aged 71)|
Feldafing, Bavaria, Germany
|Spouse||Prince Karl August of Thurn and Taxis|
Johannes, 11th Prince of Thurn and Taxis
|Father||Infante Miguel, Duke of Braganza|
|Mother||Princess Maria Theresa of Löwenstein-Wertheim-Rosenberg|
Maria Ana Rafaela Micaela Gabriela Lourença of Braganza, Infanta of Portugal, full Portuguese name: Maria Ana Rafaela Micaela Gabriela Lourença de Bragança, Infanta de Portugal (3 September 1899 – 23 June 1971) was a member of the House of Braganza and an Infanta of Portugal by birth and the wife of Karl August, 10th Prince of Thurn and Taxis.
Maria Anna was born at Schloss Fischhorn in Zell am See, Austria-Hungary (now in Austria), the fourth daughter of the Miguelist pretender to the Portuguese throne Miguel, Duke of Braganza and his second wife Princess Maria Theresa of Löwenstein-Wertheim-Rosenberg. Maria Anna's father was the head of the non reigning branch of the Portuguese Royal House that had been exiled from Portugal. The exile was the result of the Portuguese law of banishment of 1834 and the constitution of 1838 which was brought about because his grandfather Miguel I of Portugal had in 1828 usurped the throne of Portugal from Queen Maria II. Her grandfather reigned as king until 1834 when Maria II was restored. Those Portuguese who recognised Maria Anna's father as rightful king of Portugal acknowledged Maria Anna as an Infanta of Portugal.
Marriage and issue
Maria Anna married Prince Karl August of Thurn and Taxis, third eldest son of Albert, 8th Prince of Thurn and Taxis and his wife Archduchess Margarethe Klementine of Austria, on 18 August 1921 at Schloss Taxis in Dischingen, Baden-Württemberg, Germany. After their wedding they moved to Schloss Höfling. Maria Anna and Karl August had four children:
Princess Maria Anna of Thurn and Taxis
|Reference style||Her Royal Highness|
|Spoken style||Your Royal Highness|
- Princess Clotilde of Thurn and Taxis (born 30 November 1922- 1 September 2009)
- Princess Mafalda of Thurn and Taxis (born 6 March 1924 - 24 July 1989)
- Johannes, 11th Prince of Thurn and Taxis (5 June 1926 – 28 December 1990)
- Prince Albert of Thurn and Taxis (23 January 1930 – 4 February 1935)
Titles, styles and honours
- 3 September 1899 – 18 August 1921: Her Royal Highness Princess Maria Anna of Braganza, Infanta of Portugal
- 18 August 1921 - 13 June 1971: Her Serene Highness The Princess of Thurn and Taxis
- House of Braganza: Dame Grand Cross of the Royal Order of Saint Isabel
- Austrian Imperial and Royal Family: Dame of the Imperial and Royal Order of the Starry Cross, 1st Class
|Ancestors of Princess Maria Anna of Braganza|
- Darryl Lundy (5 Jun 2004). "Maria Anna Rafaela de Bragança, Infanta de Portugal". ThePeerage.com. Retrieved 2009-06-14.
- Paul Theroff. "PORTUGAL". Paul Theroff's Royal Genealogy Site. Retrieved 2009-06-14.