Princess Maria Anna of Hesse-Homburg
|Landgravine Marie Anna|
Marie Anna of Hesse-Homburg, princess of Prussia
|Spouse||Prince Wilhelm of Prussia|
|Issue||Princess Friederike (died in infancy)
Princess Irene (stillborn)
unnamed son (stillborn)
Prince Tassilo (died in infancy)
Prince Tassilo (died in infancy)
Elisabeth, Princess Karl of Hesse and by Rhine
Marie, Queen of Bavaria
|House||House of Hesse (by birth)
House of Hohenzollern (by marriage)
|Father||Frederick V, Landgrave of Hesse-Homburg|
|Mother||Caroline of Hesse-Darmstadt|
13 October 1785|
Bad Homburg vor der Höhe
|Died||14 April 1846
Princess Marianne of Prussia, born Marie Anne Amalie, Landgravine of Hesse-Homburg (13 October 1785, Bad Homburg vor der Höhe – 14 April 1846, Berlin) was a German noblewoman. She acted as the first lady of Prussia from 1810–40.
She was the twelfth child (and sixth daughter) of Frederick V, Landgrave of Hesse-Homburg and Caroline of Hesse-Darmstadt, the 'great Landgräfin'. Maria Anna belonged to the anti-Napoleon-party around Queen Louise and supported the war against France in 1806. She followed the royal house in its escape from the French occupation. After the death of Queen Louise in 1810, she acted as first lady in official occasions. In March 1813, she proclaimed the famous "Aufruf der königlichen Prinzessinnen an die Frauen im preußischen Staate" and founded the patriotic women's association "Vaterländischen Frauenverein." She corresponded with Freiherr vom Stein, von Hardenberg and Brüder Humboldt and was an acquaintance of the poet Friedrich de la Motte Fouqué. In 1822, she was in love with Count Anton zu Stolberg-Wernigerode. She was active in prison care at the Berliner Gefängnisinsassen and founded an orphanage in Pankow in Berlin.
Marriage and issue
She married in 1804 to Prince Wilhelm of Prussia (1783-1851) and they had seven children:
- Princess Amalie Friederike Luise Karoline Wilhelmine of Prussia (4 July 1805 - 23 November 1805); died in infancy.
- Princess Irene of Prussia (born and died 3 November 1806); stillborn.
- unnamed son (born and died 30 August 1809); stillborn.
- Prince Friedrich Tassilo Wilhelm of Prussia (29 October 1811 - 9 January 1813); died in infancy.
- Prince Heinrich Wilhelm Adalbert of Prussia (29 October 1811 - 6 June 1873); married morganatically, in 1850, Therese Elssler and had issue.
- Prince Friedrich Wilhelm Tassilo of Prussia (15 November 1813 - 9 January 1814); died in infancy.
- Princess Marie Elisabeth Karoline Viktoria of Prussia (18 June 1815 - 21 March 1885); married, in 1836, Prince Karl of Hesse and by Rhine and had issue.
- Prince Friedrich Wilhelm Waldemar of Prussia (2 August 1817 - 17 February 1849)
- Princess Marie Friederike Franziska Hedwig of Prussia (15 October 1825 - 17 May 1889); married, in 1842, King Maximilian II of Bavaria and had issue.
|Ancestors of Princess Maria Anna of Hesse-Homburg|
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Princess Maria Anna of Hesse-Homburg.|
- Horst Häker (Hrsg.): Tagebuch der Prinzessin Marianne von Preußen. (= Heilbronner Kleist-Editionen; 1). Kleist-Archiv Sembdner, Heilbronn 2006, ISBN 3-931060-97-7
- Stefan Hartmann (1990), "Neue Deutsche Biographie (NDB) (in German) 16, Berlin: Duncker & Humblot, pp. 210–211", , (full text online)
- Hermann von Petersdorff (1906), "Marianne, Prinzessin von Preußen", Allgemeine Deutsche Biographie (ADB) (in German) 52, Leipzig: Duncker & Humblot, pp. 202–210
- Karl Schwartz: Landgraf Friedrich V. von Hessen-Homburg und seine Familie. Aus Archivalien und Familienpapieren. Rudolstadt 1878
|This article about a member of the German nobility is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|