Princess Maria Beatrice of Savoy
|Princess Maria Beatrice of Savoy|
Maria Beatrice of Savoy with Maurizio Arena in 1967
|Spouse||Luis Rafael Reyna-Corvalán y Dillon|
|Issue||Rafael Reyna-Corvalán y de Saboya
Patrizio Reyna-Corvalán y de Saboya
Azaea Reyna-Corvalán y de Saboya
|House||House of Savoy|
|Father||Umberto II of Italy|
|Mother||Princess Marie-José of Belgium|
2 February 1943 |
|Italian Royal Family|
Born Principessa Maria Beatrice Elena Margherita Ludovica Caterina Romana di Savoia (English: Princess Mary Beatrice Helen Margaret Louise Catherine Ramona of Savoy), she was the third daughter as well as the fourth and last child of the Prince and Princess of Piedmont, known as "Titti" to family and friends. When she was three years old, her father ruled Italy as Umberto II for slightly over a month, from 9 May 1946 to 12 June 1946. The family was then exiled and briefly gathered in Portugal, where her parents decided to separate. She and her siblings went with their mother to Switzerland while their father remained in Portugal.
Marriage and children
Princess Maria Beatrice attempted to marry Italian actor Maurizio Arena in 1967 but was prevented by her family who filed a lawsuit claiming that she was mentally unfit to marry. The lawsuit was dropped in early 1968 when the relationship ended.
Titti married Luis Rafael Reyna-Corvalán y Dillon (born 18 April 1939 in Córdoba, Argentina – died 17 February 1999 in Cuernavaca, Mexico), son of Cesar Augusto Reyna-Corvalán and Amalia Maria Dillon Calvo, on 1 April 1970 in Ciudad Juarez, Mexico. They were also married in a religious ceremony on January 1971 in Córdoba, Argentina. The couple had three children:
- Rafael Humberto Lupo Corvalán-Reyna y de Saboya (born 21 September 1970 in Mexico City, Mexico, died 29 April 1994 in Boston, Massachusetts), engaged in a relationship with Margaret Beatty Tyler (1966) with whom he had one daughter born posthumously :
- Uriel Tyler (1994)
- Patrizio Corvalán-Reyna y de Saboya (1971–1971), died shortly after birth ;
- Azaea Beatrice Corvalán-Reyna y de Saboya (born 11 November 1973 in New York City, USA), married Arturo Pando y Mundet (1973) in 1996 in Mexico. Now divorced and has one child :
- Marie José Pando y Corvalán-Reyna (born 23 July 1996 in Mexico City, Mexico).
For some time, her mother lived with her and her children in Mexico.
Her eldest son died, aged 23, on 29 April 1994 in Boston, Massachusetts, falling from the terrace of the building where he lived. As for her husband, he was murdered on 17 February 1999 in Cuernavaca, Mexico.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Princess Maria Beatrice of Savoy.|
- "Princess Won't Wed". The Spokesman-Review. 14 November 1967. Retrieved 20 December 2013.
- "Love!". The Windsor Star. 28 November 1967. Retrieved 20 December 2013.
- "Suit Withdrawn". Reading Eagle. 14 January 1968. Retrieved 20 December 2013.
- Descendants of King Louis Philippe I of the French (first part). angelfire.com
- Roger Clark (18 February 1995). "CABBAGES & KINGS – Arts & Entertainment". The Independent. Retrieved 10 December 2013.