Princess Maria Francesca of Savoy
|Princess of Savoy|
Maria as a child.
26 December 1914|
|Died||7 December 2001
|Spouse||Prince Luigi of Bourbon-Parma|
|Father||Victor Emmanuel III of Italy|
|Mother||Elena of Montenegro|
|House of Savoy|
|Victor Emmanuel II|
|Victor Emmanuel III|
Princess Maria of Savoy (Maria Francesca Anna Romana; 26 December 1914 – 7 December 2001) was the youngest daughter of Victor Emmanuel III of Italy and Elena of Montenegro. She was a sister of Umberto II of Italy and of Queen Giovanna of Bulgaria.
Marriage and issue
She was born in Rome where, on 23 January 1939, Maria married Prince Luigi Carlo of Bourbon-Parma (5 December 1899 - 4 December 1967), a younger son of Robert I, Duke of Parma, and Infanta Maria Antonia of Portugal. Her husband was a brother of Zita, Empress of Austria, among many others.
The couple moved to Cannes, where all four of their children were born. Maria was interned with her husband and two elder children by the Nazis during World War II. After the war they lived in Italy for a while, later returning to France where they took up permanent residence in Mandelieu, near Cannes.
They had four children:
- Prince Guy Sixte Louis Robert Victor of Bourbon-Parma (7 August 1940, Cannes – 10 March 1991, Paris) married (non-dynastically) Brigitte Peu-Duvallon on 11 November 1964; divorced 17 September 1981, with issue.
- Prince Rémy François of Bourbon-Parma (born 14 July 1942, Cannes) married firstly (non-dynastically) Laurence Dufresne d'Arganchy 10 February 1973; divorced 1983, with issue. He wed secondly Elisabeth Tardif 5 July 2003.
- Princess Chantal Marie of Bourbon-Parma (born 24 November 1946, Cannes) married firstly Panayotis Skinas on 1 July 1977; divorced 1987, with issue. She wed secondly Francois-Henri Georges 24 September 1988
- Prince Jean Bernard Rémy of Bourbon-Parma (born 15 October 1961, Cannes) married (non-dynastically) Virginia Roatta 26 March 1988, with issue.
Title, styles and honours
- 26 December 1914 – 23 January 1939: Her Royal Highness Princess Maria of Savoy
- 23 January 1939 - 7 December 2001: Her Royal Highness Princess Maria of Bourbon-Parma
- House of Savoy: Dame Grand Cross of the Order of Saints Maurice and Lazarus
- Sovereign Military Order of Malta: Dame Grand Cross of Honour and Devotion of the Sovereign Military Order of Malta, 3rd First Class
|Ancestors of Princess Maria Francesca of Savoy|
- Genealogisches Handbuch des Adels, Fürstliche Häuser XII. "Haus Bourbon". C.A. Starke Verlag, 1984, p. 19. (German).
- de Badts de Cugnac, Chantal. Coutant de Saisseval, Guy. Nouvelle Imprimerie Laballery. Paris. 2002. pp. 597-598, 619. (French) ISBN 2-9507974-3-1
- genmarenostrum.com, page with the Italian Royal family members' honours
- Corbisimages.com, Maria Francesca wearing the Grand Cordon badge of the Order of Saints Maurice and Lazarus and also the Order of the Starry Cross