Princess Maria Sophia of Thurn and Taxis
|Princess Maria Sophia|
|Duchess Paul Wilhelm of Württemberg|
|Born||4 March 1800|
Regensburg, Free Imperial City of Regensburg, Holy Roman Empire
|Died||20 December 1870 (aged 70)|
Regensburg, Kingdom of Bavaria
|Spouse||Duke Paul Wilhelm of Württemberg|
|House||Thurn and Taxis|
|Father||Karl Alexander, 5th Prince of Thurn and Taxis|
|Mother||Duchess Therese of Mecklenburg-Strelitz|
Princess Maria Sophia Dorothea Caroline of Thurn and Taxis (full German name: Maria Sophia Dorothea Caroline, Prinzessin von Thurn und Taxis) (4 March 1800, Regensburg, Free Imperial City of Regensburg, Holy Roman Empire – 20 December 1870, Regensburg, Kingdom of Bavaria) was a member of the House of Thurn and Taxis and a Princess of Thurn and Taxis by birth and a member of the House of Württemberg and a Duchess of Württemberg through her marriage to Duke Paul Wilhelm of Württemberg, a German naturalist and explorer.
Maria Sophia was the fifth child and fourth daughter of Karl Alexander, 5th Prince of Thurn and Taxis and his wife Duchess Therese of Mecklenburg-Strelitz. She was a younger sister of Maximilian Karl, 6th Prince of Thurn and Taxis and Maria Theresia, Princess Esterházy of Galántha.
Marriage and issue
Maria Sophia married Duke Paul Wilhelm of Württemberg, fifth and youngest child of Duke Eugen of Württemberg and his wife Princess Luise of Stolberg-Gedern., on 17 April 1827 in Regensburg. Maria Sophia and Paul Wilhelm had one son:
- Duke Wilhelm Ferdinand Maximilian Karl of Württemberg (Schloss Taxis 3 September 1828 – Regensburg 28 July 1888), married Princess Hermine of Schaumburg-Lippe, eldest child of Adolf I, Prince of Schaumburg-Lippe
Maria Sophia and Paul Wilhelm divorced on 2 May 1835. Following her divorce, Maria Sophia acquired Württembergisches Palais and its adjacent Herzogspark in Regensburg. She made her residence at the Württembergisches Palais until her death.
Titles, styles, honours and arms
Titles and styles
- 4 March 1800 – 17 April 1827: Her Serene Highness Princess Maria Sophia of Thurn and Taxis
- 17 April 1827 – 20 December 1870: Her Royal Highness Duchess Maria Sophia of Württemberg, Princess of Thurn and Taxis
- Darryl Lundy (30 Nov 2008). "Maria Sophia Dorothea Prinzessin von Thurn und Taxis". ThePeerage.com. Retrieved 2010-01-01.
- Paul Theroff. "THURN und TAXIS". Paul Theroff's Royal Genealogy Site. Retrieved 2010-01-01.