Princess Marie Luise Charlotte of Hesse-Kassel
This article needs additional citations for verification. (April 2015) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)
|Princess Marie Luise Charlotte|
|Princess Frederick Augustus of Anhalt-Dessau|
9 May 1814|
|Died||28 July 1895
Schloss Hohenburg, Lenggries, Kingdom of Bavaria
|Spouse||Prince Frederick Augustus of Anhalt-Dessau|
|Issue||Adelheid-Marie, Grand Duchess of Luxembourg
Bathildis, Princess William of Schaumburg-Lippe
|House||House of Hesse-Kassel|
|Father||Prince William of Hesse-Kassel|
|Mother||Princess Louise Charlotte of Denmark|
Princess Marie Luise Charlotte of Hesse-Kassel, German: Marie Luise Charlotte, Prinzessin von Hessen-Kassel (9 May 1814, in Copenhagen, Kingdom of Denmark– 28 July 1895, at Schloss Hohenburg in Lenggries, Kingdom of Bavaria) was a member of the House of Hesse-Kassel by birth. Through her marriage to Prince Frederick Augustus of Anhalt-Dessau, she became a princess of Anhalt-Dessau.
Marie Luise Charlotte was the second child and daughter of Prince William of Hesse-Kassel and his wife Princess Louise Charlotte of Denmark. She was an elder sister of Louise of Hesse-Kassel, consort of Christian IX of Denmark.
Marriage and issue
Marie Luise Charlotte married Prince Frederick Augustus of Anhalt-Dessau, fourth but third surviving son of Frederick, Hereditary Prince of Anhalt-Dessau and his wife Landgravine Amalie of Hesse-Homburg, on 11 September 1832 at Rumpenheimer Schloss in Offenbach am Main. The couple had three children:
- Adelaide Marie (b. Dessau, 25 December 1833 – d. Schloss Königstein, 24 November 1916), married on 23 April 1851 Adolphe, last Duke of Nassau and first Grand Duke of Luxembourg. The current Grand Duke of Luxembourg, Henri, is her direct descendant.
- Bathildis Amalgunde (b. Dessau, 29 December 1837 – d. Schloss Nachod, Bohemia, 10 February 1902), married Prince William of Schaumburg-Lippe on 30 May 1862. Her eldest daughter, Charlotte, was the wife of William II, the last King of Württemberg and, through one of her younger daughters, Adelaide, she was the grandmother of the last head of the Wettin branch of Saxe-Altenburg, George Moritz.
- Hilda Charlotte (b. Dessau, 13 December 1839 – d. Dessau, 22 December 1926).
Titles, styles, honours and arms
Titles and styles
- 9 May 1814 – 11 September 1832: Her Highness Princess Marie Luise Charlotte of Hesse-Kassel
- 11 September 1832 – 28 July 1895: Her Highness Princess Frederick Augustus of Anhalt-Dessau
- Darryl Lundy (13 Aug 2003). "Marie Luise Charlotte Prinzessin von Hessen-Kassel". ThePeerage.com. Retrieved 2009-08-12.
- Paul Theroff. "HESSE". Paul Theroff's Royal Genealogy Site. Retrieved 2009-08-12.