Princess Nathalie of Sayn-Wittgenstein-Berleburg
5 February 1975 |
|Spouse||Alexander Johannsmann (m. 2010)|
|House||House of Sayn-Wittgenstein-Berleburg|
|Father||Richard, 6th Prince of Sayn-Wittgenstein-Berleburg|
|Mother||Princess Benedikte of Denmark|
Princess Nathalie of Sayn-Wittgenstein-Berleburg (Nathalie Xenia Margrethe Benedikte; born 2 May 1975, in Copenhagen, Denmark) is the youngest daughter of Prince Richard of Sayn-Wittgenstein-Berleburg and Princess Benedikte of Denmark and niece of Queen Margrethe II of Denmark and Queen Anne-Marie of Greece.
In 1994 Princess Nathalie began training on the Swedish stud Flyinge with her trainer Kyra Kyrklund, former world champion in dressage. After four years, during which she won the bronze medal at the European Championship with the Danish team, she had to change coaches as Kyrklund moved to England. She teamed up with Klaus Balkenhol, coach of the German dressage team.
Nathalie gained a place in the 2000 Olympic team as reserve rider, and afterward participated in the European Championship of 2001, winning a bronze medal and the World Championship 2002 (where she was placed fourth) with the Danish team. She was a member of the Team Denmark dressage team in the 2008 Summer Olympics and was awarded a bronze medal.
As Nathalie Zu Sayn-Wittgenstein, she was part of the Danish equestrian team in the London 2012 Olympics, competing in the team and individual dressage events on her horse Digby. She finished 12th in the individual event and helped Denmark to a 4th-place team finish.
Marriage and children
On 4 January 2010, Princess Nathalie's engagement to German horse breeder Alexander Johannsmann, (b. 6 December 1977), son of showjumper Heinrich-Wilhelm Johannsmann, was announced. The couple married civilly 27 May 2010 and religiously the following year, on 18 June 2011 at the evangelic Stadtkirche, Berleburg in Germany. The bride wore an ivory satin gown by Danish designer Henrik Hviid, with the traditional Danish Royal family antique Irish lace veil and the Cartier Khedive-of-Egypt tiara.
Princess Nathalie gave birth to a son, Konstantin Gustav Heinrich Richard on 24 July 2010. He is named Konstantin for his maternal grandfather, whose middle name is Konstantin, and for his maternal grand-uncle, King Constantine of Greece; Gustav for his maternal uncle and godfather; Heinrich for his paternal grandfather; and Richard for his maternal grandfather. Konstantin's godparents were Crown Princess Mary of Denmark, his aunt Ann-Kathrin Johannsmann, and his uncle Prince Gustav. On 13 August 2014, it was announced that Princess Nathalie was expecting her second child in February 2015. She gave birth to a daughter, Louisa Margareta Benedikte Hanna, on 28 January at Bad Berleburg, Germany.
|2008 Beijing||Team dressage|
|2001 Verden||Team dressage|
|2011 Leipzig||Individual dressage|
- International Olympic Committee: Bronze Medal for Team dressage of the 2008 Beijing Olympics
- International Olympic Committee: Bronze Medal of the Dressage World Cup
|Ancestors of Princess Nathalie of Sayn-Wittgenstein-Berleburg|
- London 2012 official website http://www.london2012.com/athlete/zu-sayn---wittgenstein-nathalie-1081847/
- (Danish) Prinsesse Nathalie: Alexander er min kæreste
- "The Wedding of Princess Nathalie of Sayn Wittgenstein Berleburg and Alexander Johannsmann | LATEST LIFESTYLE PICTURE GALLERIES". Marie Claire.
- "The Royal Order of Sartorial Splendor: Royal Fashion Awards: Princess Nathalie's Wedding". Orderofsplendor.blogspot.com. 19 June 2011.
- "The Royal Order of Sartorial Splendor: Readers' Top 15 Tiaras: #10. The Khedive of Egypt Tiara". Orderofsplendor.blogspot.com. 15 December 2011.
- Bysted A/S. "HRH Princess Benedikte - The Danish Monarchy". Kongehuset.dk.
- "Princess Nathalie and husband welcome little prince | Latest celebrity news". Hellomagazine.com.
- Billebladet 7 Aug 2010 (Danish text) http://www.billedbladet.dk/Kongelige/ArticleFolder/2010/8/Prinsesse%20Nathalie%20viste%20lille%20Konstantin%20frem.aspx
- Malan Joensen (13 August 2014). "PREGNANT: Princess Nathalie expecting baby number two". Royalista.dk.
- "HH Princess Nathalie has given birth to a girl". Danish Royal House.
|Lines of succession|
Countess Ingrid von Pfeil und Klein-Ellguth
|Line of succession to the British throne
descended from Arthur, son of Victoria