Princess Royal Hospital (Haywards Heath)
|Princess Royal Hospital|
|Brighton and Sussex University Hospitals NHS Trust|
Princess Royal Hospital main entrance
|Location||Haywards Heath, West Sussex, England, United Kingdom|
|Care system||Public NHS|
|Affiliated university||Brighton and Sussex Medical School|
|Emergency department||Yes Accident & Emergency|
|Lists||Hospitals in England|
The Princess Royal Hospital is an acute, teaching, general hospital located in Haywards Heath, West Sussex, England. It is the main hospital in the Mid Sussex district and is part of the Brighton and Sussex University Hospitals NHS Trust along with the larger Royal Sussex County Hospital and several other facilities, mostly in nearby Brighton.
The hospital has a range of acute and chronic medicine departments, and works interdependently with the other hospitals in the trust to provide a complete service.
The Princess Royal Hospital was purpose built to replace the aging Cuckfield and Haywards Heath hospitals, both located to the far side of Haywards Heath to the current hospital, in the grounds of St Francis Hospital, a mental hospital which had stood on the site since 1859, and was originally named the Sussex County Lunatic Asylum.
The original St Francis hospital was closed and redeveloped for housing the 1990s.
The hospital has an emergency department (accident and emergency) for receiving patients, although it only accepts adult cases which will not require surgery, referring others (including children) to alternative departments at the Royal Sussex County Hospital or East Surrey Hospital. It also has a full maternity and gynecology service.
Princess Royal also has medical and surgical facilities, along with adult intensive care, ear, nose & throat, diabetic medicine, geriatrics, haemotology, urology and cardiac services.
As a trust (including the other sites), the hospital was rated 6th best in the country for safety, and in the top 5% for hospital survival rates, in the year 2009-10.
- MID SUSSEX DISTRICT COUNCIL RESPONSE TO WEST SUSSEX FIT FOR THE FUTURE.
- "Overview - Princess Royal Hospital". NHS Choices. 2010-06-18. Retrieved 2011-05-03.
- "Our hospitals - Brighton and Sussex University Hospitals NHS Trust". NHS Choices. 2010-06-18. Retrieved 2011-05-03.
- "Princess Royal Hospital". Brighton and Sussex University Hospitals NHS Trust.
- "Quality Report 2009-10". Brighton and Sussex University Hospitals NHS Trust.
- "Departments and services - Princess Royal Hospital". NHS Choices.