|This article's lead section may not adequately summarize key points of its contents. (February 2010)|
Princess Superstar at Perez Hilton's birthday party before performing in 2014.
|Birth name||Concetta Kirschner|
February 25, 1971 |
New York City, New York, U.S.
|Genres||Hip hop, electronica, dance, hip house, house, electro house|
|Occupation(s)||Musician, DJ, songwriter, rapper|
|Labels||Corrupt Conglomerate Records, Studio !K7, Dark Beloved Cloud Records, 5th Beetle|
|Associated acts||Gamma Rays, Kool Keith, MC Paul Barman, Trussed Recordings, Baron Ricks, Grandmaster Flash|
Her musical style, as she describes it, is "flip-flop"—a mixture of hip hop, electroclash and electronica. In summer 2014 she debuted her reality television show "I Love Princess Superstar" on her YouTube channel.
Kirschner was born in Spanish Harlem, New York City, New York to a Jewish father with ancestry from Russia and Poland, and a Sicilian-American mother who converted to Judaism. Kirschner identifies herself as a spiritual Jew. Her parents were psychologists. When Kirschner was a child, the family moved to rural Pennsylvania and then to the suburbs of Philadelphia. She attended school at the Germantown Academy, a private high school, where she was a member of the Theatre Club and the Black Student Union. She moved to New York City at the age of 17 and went to NYU, where she got her BFA in drama. She is a vegan, active in the animal rights movement, an active member of Superstar Machine, and a member of Mensa.
In New York City she took up the guitar, and her interest in music surpassed her interest in acting. She joined the Gamma Rays, an all-girl power psychedelic band that recorded a 7" single called "Lovely" for TeenBeat Records. Their other recordings appeared on various compilations. Around the same time, Kirschner was composing hip hop-styled songs on a 4-track recorder.
In 1994, Kirschner made a demo tape called, Mitch Better Get My Bunny, under the name "Princess Superstar". She sent the tape to the College Music Journal and to the Beastie Boys' Grand Royal Records. While she got callbacks from CMJ and Grand Royal, she went on to sign with Dark Beloved Cloud Records, who released her song "I'm White" on their Sympathy for Count Pococurante compilation.
In 1995, she teamed up with three backing musicians and signed with 5th Beetle Records. They recorded her debut album, Strictly Platinum, which gained her some notoriety as being one of very few white female rappers.
In 1997, Kirschner went on to launch her own record label, first calling it "A Big Rich Major Label", but then eventually settling on "Corrupt Conglomerate". She recruited a new crew of backing musicians and recorded CEO, a concept album about corporate culture.
Her next album, 2000's Last of the Great 20th Century Composers, was co-produced by Curtis Curtis and contains the song "Kool Keith's Ass", and a remix of "Do It Like a Robot" by Blues Explosion.
Kirschner went on to collaborate with Kool Keith on "Keith and Me" for the 2001 Princess Superstar Is LP released on Ruthless Records/Studio !K7. The album, co-produced Curtis Curtis, has guest appearances by Beth Orton and Bahamadia. The single "Bad Babysitter" was #11 on the UK charts.
For 2005's My Machine a futuristic hip-hopera concept double album, she collaborated with various producers such as Arthur Baker, Jacques Lu Cont, Junior Sanchez, Armand Van Helden, Todd Terry, and DJ Mighty Mi. This went to #3 on the UK charts in 2007.
Kirschner produced New York rapper Kalae All Day's debut album, released March 17, 2010.
In 2011, Kirschner released "Xmas Swagger" produced by the Rural.
Princess Superstar released her sixth studio album The New Evolution in 2013. The album was funded by Superstar's fans, using Pledge Music.
In 2014 Princess Superstar began her Hip Hop For Kids classes at Rough Trade in Brooklyn. She also released the "I'm A Firecracker" EP in July with label Instant Records. That summer she launched the "I Love Princess Superstar" reality show on her YouTube channel. She also wrote the song "My Booty is Effiicient" with comedian Margaret Cho.
In 2015 She appeared with Margaret Cho on The Late Show with Stephen Colbert.
Kirschner is also a DJ. She has released DJ recordings, such as Princess Is a DJ in 2002, Now Is the Winter of Our Discothèque in 2005, and American Gigolo III on International DeeJay Gigolo Records in 2007.
- Strictly Platinum (1996) (5th Beetle)
- CEO (1997) (A Big Rich Major Label)
- Last of the Great 20th Century Composers (2000) (Corrupt Conglomerate)
- Princess Superstar Is (2001) (Studio !K7/Rapster)
- My Machine (2005) (Studio !K7)
- The Best of Princess Superstar (2007) (Studio !K7)
- The New Evolution (2013)
- I'm A Firecracker (2014) (Instant Records)
- 1994 "Mitch Better Get My Bunny" (cassette EP)
- 1999 "Come Up to My Room"
- 1999 "I Hope I Sell a Lot of Records at Christmastime"
- 2001 "Wet!Wet!Wet!/Keith n' Me"
- 2002 "Bad Babysitter" (#11 UK)
- 2002 "Keith N' Me" (feat. Kool Keith) (Rerelease)
- 2002 "Fuck Me on the Dancefloor" (Disco D feat. Princess Superstar, single from his record A Night at the Booty Bar)
- 2003 "Do It Like a Robot"
- 2003 "Jam for the Ladies (Moby vs. Princess Superstar, original version on the Moby album 18)
- 2004 "Memphis Bells" (The Prodigy featuring Princess Superstar)
- 2005 "Coochie Coo"
- 2005 "Perfect"
- 2005 "My Machine"
- 2007 "Perfect (Exceeder)" (Mason vs. Princess Superstar) (#3 UK, #1 UK Dance Chart, #17 NL)
- 2008 "Licky" (Larry Tee featuring Princess Superstar)
- 2009 "Life Is But a Dream"
- 2010 "Ground Control"
- 2011 "Xmas Swagger"
- 2014 "I'm a Firecracker"
- 1996 "Smooth"
- 2002 "Bad Babysitter"
- 2002 "Keith n' Me"
- 2003 "Jam for the Ladies"
- 2005 "Perfect"
- 2007 "Perfect (Exceeder)"
- 2008 "Licky (Herve Radio edit)"
- 2011 "Xmas Swagger"
- 2014 "I'm A Firecracker"
- 2002 Princess Is a DJ
- 2005 Now Is The Winter Of Our Discothèque
- 2005 Now Is The Winter Of Our Discothèque Pt. 2
- 2007 American Gigolo III
Song by Princess Superstar
|Problems playing this file? See media help.|
- Interview on Channel V (Australia) with Yumi Stynes 
- MTV's "Made" - Made coach.
- 1998: Double Dong, "Promises" (Double Dong)
- 2000: MC Paul Barman, "MTV Get Off the Air, Part 2" (It's Very Stimulating)
- 2001: The High & Mighty, "The Jump Off" (Presents Eastern Conference All Stars II)
- 2003: Moby, "Jam for the Ladies" remix
- 2003: Disco D, "Fuck Me on the Dancefloor"
- 2003: Arthur Agent, "Return To NY"
- 2003: Gonzales, "Soft Shoe Snoozin" (Z)
- 2004: The Prodigy, "Memphis Bells" (Always Outnumbered, Never Outgunned)
- 2004: Munk, "Mein Schatzi" (Aperitivo)
- 2005: The High & Mighty, "Unholy Matrimony" (12th Man)
- 2005: XLOVER, "Darling Nikki" (Pleasure & Romance)
- 2006: Lotterboys, "Iron Man" (Animalia)
- 2006: Dr Octagon, "Eat It" (The Return of Dr. Octagon)
- 2006: DJs Are Not Rockstars, "European Accent"
- 2006: DJs Are Not Rockstars, "V.I.P."
- 2006: Arling & Cameron, "Computer" (Hi-Fi Underground)
- 2006: Diskokaines, "Lick The Alphabet"
- 2006: Diskokaines, "Rock-A-Boogie"
- 2006: LBL, "Goes Busters"
- 2006: Larry Tee, "Licky"
- 2006: One Fingered Pocket, "Pussy (Greenskeepers Remix)"
- 2006: DJ Yoda, "Let's Get Old" (The Amazing Adventures of DJ Yoda)
- 2006: Agoria, "Lips On Fire" (The Green Armchair)
- 2006: Fetisch, "Dayglo"
- 2007: The Glimmers, "Wanna Make Out"
- 2007: Shinichi Osawa, "Detonator" (The One)
- 2009: Sharam Jey & LouLou Players, "Monday Morning"
- 2009: Grandmaster Flash, "Those Chix" (The Bridge (Concept Of A Culture))
- 2009: Alexander Technique, "Rock U"
- 2011: George Monev, "Blowdryer"
- 2011: Zoo Brazil, "Do You Wanna Funk"
- Blackman, Guy."Flip Flop Pop", "The Age, June 1, 2008"
- Hendrickson, Tad (2014-08-01). "Princess Superstar, Inspired by 'I Love Lucy,' Lands on YouTube". The Wall Street Journal.
- Kagen, Wendy (2005-09-13). "Biography". Musician Guide. Retrieved 2008-09-30.
- Westbrook, Caroline. Interview with a Jewish Princess June 2, 2002, accessdate=2008-09-30
- Kagan, Wendy.Princess Superstar biography
- Merlan, Anna. "Inside Superstar Machine, Which Ex-Members Say Is a Cult Preying on New York’s Creative Women". Jezebel. Retrieved 2017-02-10.
- "Time Machine". Emusician.com. 2005-10-01. Retrieved 2012-04-23.
- Gamma Rays at Discogs.com
- Princess Superstar at Discogs.com
- "Princess Superstar: The New Evolution!". PledgeMusic. Retrieved 2012-04-23.
- Phull, Hardeep (2014-06-07). "Rapper Princess Superstar heads Brooklyn hip-hop class for tots". New York Post.
- Chaz Kangas. "Princess Superstar: From "Bad Babysitter" to Good Teacher". Village Voice.
- "Q&A and Song debut: Princess Superstar's 'Chick Habit'". USA Today. 2014-07-14.
- "This Twerking Video Shot In Times Square Is Beyond 'Cray'". Huffington Post. 2014-06-27.
- My Booty is Efficient! Margaret Cho & Princess Superstar. YouTube. 30 March 2015.
- Margaret Cho Sings "Lice". YouTube. 3 November 2015.
- Roberts, David (2006). British Hit Singles & Albums (19th ed.). London: Guinness World Records Limited. p. 440. ISBN 1-904994-10-5.