Principality of Wy
Principality of Wy
Motto: Ex Municipalis Vincit
Anthem: Wy is an Answer by Doc Neeson and Prince Paul
|Location||22B Burran Ave, Mosman, New South Wales, Australia|
|15 November 2004|
In 2004 Paul Delprat claimed to secede from Mosman and develop his own micronation in response to a lengthy dispute with the local council government. After 20 years of seeking planning permission, he lost his appeal in 2013.
In 1993 the Delprat family applied to build a driveway to their house over an unbuilt road, leading to a long-running battle with the Mosman council that they eventually lost. Eventually, on 15 November 2004, Paul Delprat claimed to secede from Mosman, although not from Australia, claiming that he was a prince of the Principality of Wy.
The community has been noted by international and local news outlets, including Sky News, The Daily Telegraph UK, The Sydney Morning Herald, The Daily Telegraph (Sydney), The National (Abu Dhabi) and the Kuwait Times. However, there is still no local, national or international recognition of the community.
Contribution to the arts
The community is an active patron of art and sponsors an art prize. Representatives from the principality have also been invited to open exhibitions and give talks in the local community and throughout the state. Art reviews and articles have appeared in art society newsletters and are published on the Principality of Wy website in support of local and renowned artists. Private exhibitions are held within the principality by invitation and public exhibitions are open at the embassy in Georges Heights, featuring works by new and emerging artists.
- "Prince of Wy Paul Delprat loses driveway court battle". Daily Telegraph. 17 July 2013.
- "Lamb Island residents see chance of nationhood arrive". The Guardian. 18 October 2013.
- "'Why, Willoughby begins with a W, Wy begins with a W, it's all quite wonderful my dear!'". Daily Telegraph. 14 April 2017.
- Sky News article
- Telegraph UK
- Sydney Morning Herald Article from Sydney Morning Herald about the micronation meeting in 2010
- The Daily Telegraph
- The National Article about the recent summit of micronations held on Dangar Island in Sydney, Australia
- "Kuwait Times - Leading English Daily in Kuwait". Kuwait Times. Retrieved 16 April 2015.
- "Don't like the country you live in? Start your own". Otago Daily Times. 6 May 2010.
- "Meeting of the Mini Me brigade". The Sydney Morning Herald. 17 April 2010.
- "Delegates make it regal at summit". The National. 19 April 2010.
- "Micronationalism Conference". Macquarie University.
- Principality of Wy website Archy Wyld Art Prize
- "Official site of Principality of Wy » Art Reviews Court Circular » Artist Joshua Smith at the Royal Art Society". principalityofwy.com. Retrieved 16 April 2015.
- Eva Breuer Website Prince Paul opening an exhibition for Samuel Wade
- Portrait Artists Australia website Prince Paul opened the annual exhibition in 2007
- City of Sydney. "William Dobell - A sincere artist". nsw.gov.au. Retrieved 16 April 2015.
- D H Lawrence Society of Australia newsletter Article written by Prince Paul for the D H Lawrence Society of Australia
- "Official site of Principality of Wy» Art Reviews". principalityofwy.com. Retrieved 16 April 2015.