|This article needs additional citations for verification. (August 2015) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)|
The 1985 replica of the Prins Willem in 2005
|Owner:||Dutch East India Company|
|Tons burthen:||700 tons|
|Length:||42 m (137 ft 10 in)|
|Sail plan:||Full rigged ship|
The Prins Willem (Dutch pronunciation: [prɪns ˈʋɪləm]), also spelled Prins Willim, was a 17th-century East Indiaman of the Dutch East India Company. It was their largest ship at the time. The ship made its first voyage to the Dutch East Indies in 1651. After several voyages, it sank near Madagascar in 1662. A replica of the Prins Willem was built in 1985, but it was destroyed by fire in 2009.
The ship Prins Willim was built in 1650 in Middelburg in the Dutch Republic. Curiously, the name on the ship was Prins Willim. Two possible reasons have been advanced: the ship's name is Middle Dutch or the lack of space for the name caused the "e" to be changed to a shorter "i".
A replica with the same name was built in 1984-85 at the Dutch shipyard Amels in Makkum for the Nagasaki Holland Village (長崎オランダ村 Nagasaki Oranda Mura?) theme park in Seihi, Nagasaki Prefecture, Japan. The building cost was 1.4 billion yen.
In 2009, the bowsprit of the Prins Willim replica was being restored.
On the morning of 30 July 2009, the replica was lost to fire, probably due to an electric malfunction. The owner of the ship, the Libéma company, decided on a restoration. In 2014 the ship was dismantled, as the restoration turned out to be too expensive.
- (Dutch) Prins Willem, 1650, De VOCsite. Retrieved 6 August 2015.
- 長崎オランダ村の復元帆船全焼 母国帰還後、地元観光に貢献. 47NEWS (in Japanese). Kyodo News. 2009-07-31. Retrieved 2014-05-21.
- シンボル帆船が母国へ ＨＴＢの資産売却で. 47NEWS (in Japanese). Kyodo News. 2003-10-20. Retrieved 2014-05-21.
- 浮きドックで母国へ出帆 長崎オランダ村の復元帆船. 47NEWS (in Japanese). Kyodo News. 2003-11-04. Retrieved 2014-05-21.
- "Brand verwoest replica VOC-schip". de Volkskrant (in Dutch). 2009-07-30. Retrieved 2009-07-30.
- Media related to Prins Willem (ship, 1649) at Wikimedia Commons
|This merchant ship article is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|