|Werner Heid, CEO & President|
|Products||Industrial Printing Solutions|
Number of employees
Printronix is a supplier of line matrix, thermal bar code printer, radio frequency identification (RFID) and mobility products. Printronix printers are typically used for bar code labeling of products, as well as high-volume printing of reports.
Printronix’s products are primarily used in industrial environments for printing high-volume reports, barcode labels, apparel tags and receipts. Line Matrix, Thermal and RFID are the categories by which the company differentiates its product line. In 2000, Printronix introduced integrated verification technology known as the Online Data Validation (ODV) option on the T5000 Thermal Printer Series. This Technology helps to verify printed labels by setting specifications for what a perfect barcode must look like. If the standard of print quality is not met the ODV reprints the barcode again until a perfect match to its standard is produced. PrintNet Enterprise Suite (PNE), a web-based application allowing administrators to network and manage all Printronix line-matrix, thermal and RFID printers from a single computer, was launched in 2007. The T8000 was launched in 2015 and is the first in a new line of thermal printing solutions from Printronix. Besides its printers, Printronix also offers supplies, parts, accessories, service and software.
Printronix was founded in 1974 by Robert A. Kleist and business partner Gordon Barrus, and David Mayne. Working out of a garage in Playa Del Rey, California, the Printronix team developed a 300-line-per-minute (LPM) prototype line printer, called the P300 series.
In January 2008, Printronix was acquired by Vector Capital and became a private company and in 2009 Printronix acquired its closest competitor, TallyGenicom. As a result of the TallyGenicom acquisition, Printronix now owns the intellectual property for the TallyGenicom line printers. Printronix was acquired by Corona Investment Partners, a New York City based private investment firm in January 2013. .
Werner Heid  was appointed CEO of Printronix in 2015, taking over from Randy Eisenbach who retired from the board after a 6 year tenure. Heid was the CEO of Iomega Corp before taking over the reins at Printronix .
- 1976: Printronix goes Public and trades on the Nasdaq.
- 1981: Opens Holland manufacturing facility and expands global operations to Europe, Middle-East and Africa.
- 1985: Operations expand into Asia-Pacific with the opening of the Singapore Facility.
- 1995: Printronix enters the Indian Market and signs agreement with Wipro.
- 1998: Expansion into the China Market.
- 2001: Printronix acquires RJS and enters the scanner/ verifier market.
- 2008: Acquired by Vector Capital, Printronix becomes a Private Company.
- 2009: Printronix acquires TallyGenicom.
- 2013: Corona Investments acquires Printronix.
- Webster, Edward (2000). Print unchained : fifty years of digital printing, 1950-2000 and beyond : a saga of invention and enterprise. West Dover, Vt.: DRA of Vermont. p. 137. ISBN 0-9702617-0-5.
- Printronix announces completion of acquisition by Vector Capital
- Printronix Named Winning Bidder in Acquisition of U.S.-Based Assets of TallyGenicom
- [ http://yahoo.brand.edgar-online.com/EFX_dll/EDGARpro.dll?FetchFilingHtmlSection1?SectionID=5231122-9609-102045&SessionID=R3rkF68chGBLG27]
- [ http://www.marketwired.com/press-release/printronix-named-winning-bidder-in-acquisition-of-us-based-assets-of-tallygenicom-1236798.htm]