Prior Lake High School
|Prior Lake High School|
7575 150th St W
|Motto||Home of the Lakers|
|Head teacher||John Bezek|
|Number of students||2,566 (2016-17)|
|Colors||Navy Blue and Gold|
Prior Lake High School (PLHS) is located in Savage, Minnesota, covering grades 9-12. The school is part of the South Suburban Conference. It has approximately 3,000 students currently enrolled, along with a teaching and administrative staff of around 400. A book, "Another Planet: A Year in the Life of a Suburban High School", was written by author Elinor Burkett and paints an inaccurate portrait of life in the school and around the city of Prior Lake. In 2003 when the new high school building opened its doors in its current location of Savage, MN, the decision was made to keep the name "Prior Lake" High School because of the rich history of the school. The principal's name is John Bezek. The school currently utilizes a 6-period system.
In 2009 the school faced issues with overcrowding, with about 200 extra students over capacity enrolled in the high school. A Growth Task Force was created to find solutions to the issue, which included closing open enrollment.
Awards and honors
- "PRIOR LAKE HIGH SCHOOL". National Center for Education Statistics. Retrieved February 16, 2019.
- "PLHS Staff Directory". Retrieved 12 March 2013.
- "PLHS Daily Class Schedule". Retrieved 12 March 2013.
- Minelli, Pat (29 November 2009). "School Board accepts task force's solutions to overcrowding at Prior Lake High". SWNewsMedia.com. Retrieved 21 February 2017.
- Bornhoft, William (10 August 2016). "17 Minnesota High Schools Make Newsweek's Top 500". Stillwater, MN Patch. Retrieved 21 February 2017.
|This Minnesota school-related article is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|