Jump to navigation Jump to search
Prison islands by country
- Goli otok, location of the prison and torture camp for political dissidents in SFR Yugoslavia, from 1949 to 1988
- Île Royale, 1852-1952, part of the Devil's Island penal colony
- Devil's Island (Kourou), 1852-1952, part of the Devil's Island penal colony
- Saint-Joseph Island, 1852-1952, part of the Devil's Island penal colony
- Île Sainte-Marguerite, 1600s-1900s.
- Jerejak Island, location of the Jerejak Rehabilitation Centre from 1969 to 1993. Called the 'Alcatraz of Malaysia'.
- Grmožur, a fortified islet in Lake Skadar which served as a prison
- Mamula, location of the Fascist Italian concentration camp, from 1942 to 1945
- Ognenny Ostrov, location of Vologodskiy Pyatak prison since 1917.
- Robben Island, location of Robben Island Prison from 1961 to 1996.
- Changuu, known as 'Prison Island'. Held rebellious slaves in 1860s.
- İmralı island, location of a prison since 1935.
- Alcatraz Island, location of Alcatraz Federal Penitentiary from 1934 until 1963.
- Rikers Island, location of New York City's main jail complex.
- Deer Island (Massachusetts), location of Deer Island Prison, closed in 1991.
- McNeil Island, location of McNeil Island Corrections Center from 1875 to 2011.