|Single by The B-52's|
|from the album Wild Planet|
|B-side||"Party Out of Bounds"|
|Songwriter(s)||Fred Schneider, Keith Strickland, Ricky Wilson, Cindy Wilson, Kate Pierson|
|Producer(s)||Rhett Davies, The B-52's, Chris Blackwell|
|The B-52's singles chronology|
The single was their second Billboard Hot 100 chart entry, at #74. The single also peaked at #5 on the US Hot Dance Club Play, along with previous single "Give Me Back My Man" and "Party out of Bounds", both from Wild Planet.
"Private Idaho" reached number 11 in Australia. It was the 83rd biggest Australian hit of 1980.
|Australia (Kent Music Report)||11|
|U.S. Billboard Hot 100||74|
|U.S. Billboard Hot Dance Club Play||5|
- "Hits of the Week > Sleepers" (PDF). Record World. August 30, 1980. p. 1. ISSN 0034-1622.
- Jennifer Dempsey Music USA: The Rough Guide 1999 p134 "As a harbinger of the whole punk/new wave aesthetic, the B-52's turned this to their advantage by stressing cheesy ... even as tunes like "Private Idaho" helped make new wave safe for mainstream listeners who wanted to put on dark glasses "
- "Forum – ARIA Charts: Special Occasion Charts – 1980". Australian-charts.com. Hung Medien. Retrieved 1 May 2017.
- Greenberg, Harvey (Fall 1992). "My Own Private Idaho". Film Quarterly.
- Kent, David (1993). Australian Chart Book 1970–1992. St Ives, NSW: Australian Chart Book. ISBN 0-646-11917-6.