Private Peaceful (film)
|Directed by||Pat O'Connor|
|Screenplay by||Simon Reade|
|Based on||Private Peaceful|
by Michael Morpurgo
|Music by||Rachel Portman|
|Edited by||Humphrey Dixon|
|Distributed by||BBC America|
|October 12, 2012|
Private Peaceful is a 2012 British war drama film directed by Pat O'Connor and starring Jack O'Connell and George MacKay. It is based on the 2003 novel of the same name by Michael Morpurgo. The film marks the final performance of Richard Griffiths.
Private Peaceful follows Tommo and Charlie Peaceful and their family and village life, as they grow up on the brink of World War I. Going between the past and present, it tells their struggles, love, loss and heartbreaks, meeting Molly wrapped in an ominous countdown to a tragic event only revealed in the final seconds.
- Jack O'Connell as Charlie Peaceful
- Hero Fiennes-Tiffin as Young Charlie
- George MacKay as Tommo Peaceful
- Alexandra Roach as Molly Monks
- Izzy Meikle-Small as Young Molly
- Richard Griffiths as The Colonel
- Frances de la Tour as Grandma Wolf
- John Lynch as Sergeant Hanley
- Maxine Peake as Hazel Peaceful
- Stephen Kennedy as James Peaceful
- Anna Carteret as Colonel's Wife
- Eline Powell as Anna
The film has a 64% rating on Rotten Tomatoes. Peter Bradshaw of The Guardian gave the film three stars out of five. Robbie Collin of The Daily Telegraph gave the film two stars out of five. Rob Humanick of Slant Magazine gave the film two and a half stars out of four.
- Gant, Charles (11 October 2012). "Review: 'Private Peaceful'". Variety (magazine). Retrieved 2 May 2017.
- Gritten, David (12 October 2012). "Michael Morpurgo's Private Peaceful: set report". Telegraph.co.uk. Retrieved 2 May 2017.
- Scheck, Frank (30 October 2014). "'Private Peaceful': Film Review". The Hollywood Reporter. Retrieved 2 May 2017.
- "Private Peaceful". Rotten Tomatoes. Retrieved 2 May 2017.
- Bradshaw, Peter (11 October 2012). "Private Peaceful – review". The Guardian. Retrieved 2 May 2017.
- Collin, Robbie (12 October 2012). "Private Peaceful, review". Telegraph.co.uk. Retrieved 2 May 2017.
- Humanick, Rob (29 October 2014). "Private Peaceful". Slant Magazine. Retrieved 2 May 2017.