Prix du Moulin de Longchamp
|Group 1 race|
|Race type||Flat / Thoroughbred|
|Distance||1,600 metres (1 mile)|
Three-years-old and up|
56½ kg (3yo); 58½ kg (4yo+)|
1½ kg for fillies and mares
|Charm Spirit||Toronado||Night Of Thunder|
|Excelebration||Rio De La Plata||Rajsaman|
|Polish Precedent||Squill||Cadeaux Genereux|
The Prix du Moulin de Longchamp is a Group 1 flat horse race in France open to thoroughbred colts and fillies aged three years or older. It is run at Longchamp over a distance of 1,600 metres (about 1 mile), and it is scheduled to take place each year in September.
The event is named after the Moulin de Longchamp, a windmill located within the grounds of the racecourse. The mill was originally part of an abbey, and its foundation stone was laid by Saint Louis in 1256. It was destroyed during the French Revolution, but reconstructed when the racecourse was built in 1856.
The Prix du Moulin de Longchamp was one of two major races introduced to celebrate Longchamp's centenary in 1957. Both initially took place on the first Sunday in October, the same day as the Prix de l'Arc de Triomphe. The other race, the Prix de l'Abbaye de Longchamp, is still held at that meeting.
The Prix du Moulin was moved to late September in 1974, and to the first Sunday of that month in 1980. It was formerly contested on Longchamp's middle course (the moyenne piste), but was switched to the main course (the grande piste) in 1987.
The race was rescheduled for mid-September in 2011.
Most successful horse:
- no horse has won this race more than once
Leading jockey (6 wins):
- Cash Asmussen – Mendez (1984), Soviet Star (1988), Polish Precedent (1989), Kingmambo (1993), Spinning World (1997), Indian Lodge (2000)
Leading trainer (6 wins):
- André Fabre – Soviet Star (1988), Polish Precedent (1989), Ski Paradise (1994), Nebraska Tornado (2003), Grey Lilas (2004), Vadamos (2016)
Leading owner (4 wins):
- HH Aga Khan IV – Silver Shark (1966), Ashkalani (1996), Sendawar (1999), Ervedya (2015)
Winners since 1975
- "Prix du Moulin de Longchamp". The French Black Type. Retrieved 10 September 2017.
- France Galop / Racing Post: