Being the daughter of a police officer Jhingan initially wanted to join the Indian Police Service but decided to write to the then army chief Sunith Francis Rodrigues to allow her to join the army. Her request was accepted in 1992 and after her training at the Officers Training Academy in Chennai. She started her OTA training from 21 September 1992 along with other 24 lady cadets. she received her short service commission on 6 March 1993 and WS-00002W. Her request to join the infantry division was rejected by the army top brass and being a law graduate she was offered to join Corps of Judge Advocate General. After ten years of service at Judge Advocate General, Jhingan went on release in 2002 as a Major. Jhingan has always been a strong advocate for women joining the army and defended that right over the controversial suicide of Lieutenant Sushmita Chakravarty in which the then Vice-Chief Lt Gen S Pattabhiraman had to apologize for an insensitive remark about women in the army.
Life After Release from Army
After retirement, Jhingan cleared the Haryana Judicial Services but ended up not joining the Judicial Service. She then completed a Bachelor's in Journalism and Mass Communication and took up editing a weekly, Sikkim Express, in Gangtok. In 2013, she was one of the participants of Khatron Ke Khiladi Season 1. In 2013 she joined Lawrence School, Sanawar as an English teacher and a House Mistress. Priya Jhingan is married to Manoj Malhotra, who retired as a Lieutenant Colonel from the army and runs an adventure sports company named PepTurf . The couple live in Solan, Himachal Pradesh and have one son.
- "Priya Jhingan army's first woman officer". archive.indianexpress.com. Retrieved 2017-07-17.
- "List of 'First' Indian women in Indian history". indiatoday.intoday.in. Retrieved 2017-07-17.
- Dr. Saroj Kumar Singh (2017). Role of Women in India. REDSHINE. ISBN 978-93-86483-09-6.
- "First Women". zeenews.india.com. Archived from the original on 2017-08-06. Retrieved 2017-07-20.
- "Indian women Making India proud". timeskuwait.com. Retrieved 2017-07-17.
- "Vice-Chief apologises". archive.indianexpress.com. Retrieved 2017-07-20.
- Team, Editorial (2017-09-30). "Meet Major Priya Jhingan (Cadet-001) - First Woman to Join Indian Army". SSBToSuccess. Retrieved 2017-09-30.
- "The Faculty of English". sanawar.edu.in. Retrieved 2017-08-06.
- "The Lawrence School, Sanawar". sanawar.edu.in. Retrieved 2017-07-19.
- "Major Priya Jhingan". indiaschoolnews.com. Retrieved 2017-08-06.