Priyamani at South Indian International Movie Awards 2013
|Born||Priya Vasudev Mani Iyer
June 4, 1984
Palakkad, Kerala, India
|Occupation||Actress and model|
|Parents||Vasudeva Mani Iyer
Latha Mani Iyer
|Relatives||Vidya Balan (cousin)|
Priyamani was born in a Tamil Brahmin family with roots in Palakkad and grew up in Bangalore. She made her film acting debut in the 2003 Telugu film Evare Atagaadu directed by P Bhanu Shankar. She made her Tamil and Malayalam debuts in 2004, with films Kangalal Kaidhu Sei and Sathyam respectively. She broke into the big league with the 2006 Telugu film Pellaina Kothalo. The film was a sleeper hit and brought instant stardom to the struggling actress.
In 2007, Priyamani gained widespread recognition for her role as village girl Muththazhagu in the Tamil film Paruthiveeran, receiving National Film Award for Best Actress and Tamil Nadu State Film Award for Best Actress for her performance. During the same year, she achieved commercial success in Telugu cinema with SS Rajamouli directed Yamadonga. In 2008, Priyamani received further critical acclaim for her role as Malavika in the Malayalam film Thirakkatha, written and directed by Ranjith. Thirakkatha was a biopic of film actress Srividya. The following year, she made her Kannada film debut in Raam which proved to be a commercial and critical success. Priyamani made her Hindi film debut through Mani Ratnam's bilingual in Tamil and Hindi, titled Raavan and Raavanan respectively. In 2012, her portrayal of conjoined twins in the multilingual film Chaarulatha, based on Thai film Alone, gained critical praise.
Priyamani was born in Palakkad, Kerala to Vasudeva Mani and Latha Mani a Tamil Brahmin family. She is the granddaughter of Carnatic vocalist Kamala Kailas. She grew up in Bangalore. After completing her schooling, Priyamani modeled for print advertisements.
Priyamani made her debut with Telugu film Evare Atagaadu. She then made her debut in the Malayalam film industry with Sathyam, but this film performed poorly at the box office. She was signed by Tamil film director and cinematographer Balu Mahendra to act in the 2005 drama Adhu Oru Kana Kaalam. Before release, Balu Mahendra said "Priyamani has come up with an excellent performance in the movie. Her performance would be widely acclaimed." Adhu Oru Kana Kaalam was critically acclaimed but failed at the box office. However, she won acclaim for her performance in the film. In 2006, Priyamani starred in the Telugu film Pellaina Kothalo. The film was a super hit and got her 3 Telugu films.
2007 - present
Priyamani managed to prove her acting credentials and commercial appeal with 2007's Paruthiveeran, directed by Ameer Sultan, in which she was co-starred with debutant Karthi Sivakumar. A rural subject which told the story of a notorious young villager in Madurai, the film won critical acclaim and became a surprise box-office blockbuster. Priyamani's performance was unanimously praised by the critics. She went on to win the National Film Award, followed by South Filmfare Award, Tamil Nadu State Film Award and an award at the Osian's Cinefan Festival of Asian and Arab Cinema.
She had another commercially successful film in Telugu, in the 2007 film Yamadonga and in the Tamil film Malaikottai. She again received critical acclaim in 2008 for her role in the Malayalam film Thirakkatha, in which she played a role based on the turbulent real-life story of late film actress Srividya. She won another Filmfare Award for her performance. In Tamil, she had a single release in 2008: Thotta.
In 2009 she had two Tamil releases, the masala film Arumugam and the remake of the Malayalam blockbuster Classmates, titled Ninaithale Inikkum. The former was a commercial failure: Her Kannada debut film Raam was also a commercial success. All three of her Telugu releases that year, however, (Drona, Mitrudu, Pravarakhyudu) did not do well at the box office. In 2010 she acted in the satirical film Pranchiyettan & the Saint which became the longest-running Malayalam film since 2005. She won a Filmfare nomination for her role as a Mumbai-based interior decorator in the film.
She was subsequently signed by director Mani Ratnam for his bilingual film, titled Raavanan and Raavan in Tamil and Hindi respectively. Soon after, she was roped in by Bollywood director-producer Ram Gopal Varma for his trilingual film Rakht Charitra. Varma decided to cast her after seeing her National Award-winning performance in Paruthiveeran. Her Kannada film Only Vishnuvardhana became a blockbuster hit  and later she starred in Anna Bond. Surprisingly Anna Bond, even after getting bad reviews from critics went on to become the biggest hit of the year making huge money at the box office. But this super hit film was termed as "The Most Disappointing Kannada Films of 2012" list by Rediff and had got a thumbs down from critics. She appeared in an item number in the Bollywood film Chennai Express.
She has completed shooting for a Malayalam film, The True Story and the Telugu film, Chandee, in which she plays Ganga the granddaughter of a freedom fighter, who seeks revenge for the problems her family had to face. She is currently shooting for the Kannada film Ambareesha.
- National Film Award (2006) - Paruthiveeran - Tamil
- Tamil Nadu State Film Award for Best Actress (2006) - Paruthiveeran
- Filmfare Award for Best Actress – Tamil for Paruthi Veeran in 2007
- Filmfare Award for Best Actress – Malayalam for Thirakkatha in 2008
- Filmfare Award for Best Actress – Kannada for Chaarulatha in 2012.
|2004||Kangalal Kaidhu Sei||Vidya Sadagoppan||Tamil|
|2005||Adhu Oru Kana Kaalam||Thulasi||Tamil|
|2007||Paruthi Veeran||Muthazhagu||Tamil||National Film Award for Best Actress
Tamil Nadu State Film Award for Best Actress
Filmfare Award for Best Actress – Tamil
Vijay Award for Best Actress
|2008||Thirakkatha||Malavika||Malayalam||Filmfare Award for Best Actress – Malayalam|
|2010||Shambo Shiva Shambo||Munimma||Telugu|
|2010||Pranchiyettan and the Saint||Padmashree||Malayalam|
|2010||Rakta Charitra II||Bhawani||Hindi|
|Kannada||Filmfare Award for Best Actress – Kannada
SIIMA Award for Best Actress
Suvarna Film Award for Best Actress
|2013||Chennai Express||Hindi||Special appearance in item song|
|2014||Alice A True Story||Malayalam|
- "Ms. Confidence". The Hindu. Retrieved 19 March 2013.
- "Graceful debut". Metro Plus Coimbatore (Chennai, India: The Hindu). 2003-12-22. Retrieved 2009-02-25.
- "Not going to ask Vidya Balan for advice: Priyamani". Deccan Chronicle. Retrieved 18 May 2012.
- Priya Mani – Interview. Behindwoods.com. Retrieved on 2011-07-05.
- "He can't stop talking about Priya Mani". Indiaglitz. 2005-03-09.
- "Style meets substance". The Hindu. 2006-01-28.
- "Athu Oru Kanaa Kaalam – Dreamy desires". Indiaglitz. Retrieved 19 March 2013.
- "Tamil Movie Review : Athu Oru Kanakalam". Behindwoods. Retrieved 19 March 2013.
- "Pellaina Kothalo trio returns". Rediff. 2009-12-01.
- Ranganath, Vanaparthy (2006-12-27). "TOP 10 MOVIES OF 2006". idlebrain.com.
- "'Paruthi Veeran' 357 not out!". indiaglitz. Retrieved 19 March 2013.
- "Box Office Analysis". Indiaglitz. 2007-02-27.
- "The next pin-up boy!". Sify. 2007-04-16.
- Paruthi Veeran Tamil Movie Review – cinema preview stills gallery trailer video clips showtimes. Indiaglitz.com (2007-02-24). Retrieved on 2013-07-11.
- Movie Review : Paruthiveeran. Sify.com. Retrieved on 2013-07-11.
- "Priya Mani bags National Award for Best Actress". Sify. Retrieved 19 March 2013.
- "'Paruthi Veeran' rules the roost at filmfare awards". Indiaglitz. Retrieved 20 March 2013.
- "Top Tamil heroines of 2007". Rediff. Retrieved 19 March 2013.
- "Yamadonga 100 days celebrations in New Jersey, USA". idlebrain.com. Retrieved 19 March 2013.
- "TOP 10 MOVIES OF 2007 by Ranganath Vanaparthy". idlebrain.com. Retrieved 19 March 2013.
- "Top five Telugu films of 2007". Rediff. Retrieved 19 March 2013.
- "BOX OFFICE TOP 10 MOVIES OF 2007". Behindwoods. Retrieved 19 March 2013.
- "Malaikottai’s success delights Vishal". Times of India. Retrieved 19 March 2013.
- "Malaikottai – 125 days celebrated". Sify. Retrieved 19 March 2013.
- "Search for inspiration". Friday Review Thiruvananthapuram (Chennai, India: The Hindu). 2008-07-11. Retrieved 2009-02-25.
- Ramanjuam, Srinivasa (2009-08-02). "The glowing filmfare night!". The Times Of India.
- "Ninaithale Inikkum is worth a watch". Rediff. Retrieved 19 March 2013.
- "Variety is the spice of life". Times of India. Retrieved 19 March 2013.
- "Siren of the Week: Priyamani". MSN. Retrieved 19 March 2013.
- "Will lady luck shine on Bharath?". Sify. Retrieved 19 March 2013.
- "Suresh Krishna is back with Aahaa". chakpak.com. Retrieved 19 March 2013.
- "'Prithvi' 50 days, 'Raam' 25 weeks!". Indiaglitz. Retrieved 19 March 2013.
- "Puneet Rajkumar: The impeccable aura of the Powerstar continues to dazzle". Southscope. Retrieved 19 March 2013.
- Veeresh, K. M. (2010-11-12). "GANDHINAGAR GOSSIP". The Hindu.
- "I don’t want to disappoint my fans: Puneeth". Sify. Retrieved 19 March 2013.
- "Exclusive: Priya Mani's Kannada debut". Rediff. Retrieved 19 March 2013.
- Narasimham, M.L. (2009-12-25). "Of colossal hits and flops". The Hindu.
- "Tollywood’s report card of 2009". Times of India. Retrieved 19 March 2013.
- Nair, Unni R. (18 March 2011). "Pranchiyettan And The Saint still running strong". Indian Express. Retrieved 14 April 2011.
- Raghavan, Nikhil (2009-01-23). "Out in the woods". Cinema Plus (Chennai, India: The Hindu). Retrieved 2009-02-25.
- Priyamani was uncertain in acting in Rakta Charitra. Entertainment.oneindia.in (2010-03-23). Retrieved on 2011-07-05.
- "South's biggest blockbusters of 2011". IBN Live. Retrieved 19 March 2013.
- Rajapur, V.S. (2011-12-29). "Kannada film industry looks up: Success ratio up". Hindustan Times.
- Kannada Review: 'Only Vishnuvardhana' is racy. Ibnlive.in.com (2011-12-11). Retrieved on 2013-07-11.
- "The Most Disappointing Kannada Films of 2012". Rediff. 2013-01-19.
- Prithviraj and Priyamani in Dr.Biju's "Painting Life". :News – Movie News , Film News , Cinema News – Malayalam Movie News. Metromatinee.com (2013-06-30). Retrieved on 2013-07-11.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Priyamani.|