Pro Basketball Writers Association
The idea of a professional organization like the PBWA began to be discussed in the early 1970s. One of the rationales was to improve working conditions. For NBA beat writers, the league did not have a specific policy regarding access to locker rooms, team practices, players, coaches, general managers, and other executives.
On January 18, 1972, interested sportswriters gathered formally for the first time, to begin organizing what was to become the Pro Basketball Writers Association of America (PBWAA). The meeting occurred at the Century Plaza Hotel, in Los Angeles, California, during the NBA All-Star Game weekend. The PBWAA organized formally one year later, on January 23, 1973, at a meeting in the O'Hare Hyatt Regency Hotel, in Chicago, Illinois.
- See footnote
- United States Basketball Writers Association (college)
- Baseball Writers Association of America (BBWAA)
- National Collegiate Baseball Writers Association
- Pro Football Writers Association
- Football Writers Association of America (college)
- Professional Hockey Writers Association
- National Sportscasters and Sportswriters Association
- "Pro Basketball Writers Association: PBWA Info". InsideHoops.com. February 21, 2008. Retrieved 2011-02-18.