Pro Football Writers Association
The Professional Football Writers of America (PFWA) is an organization that purports to be "[the] official voice of pro football writers, promoting and fighting for access to NFL personnel to best serve the public." Goals of the organization include improving access to practices and locker rooms, developing working relationships with all teams, and ensuring that football writers are treated in a professional manner. As of 2005 the group consisted of over 300 writers, editors, and columnists who cover pro football. The Atlanta Journal-Constitution’s D. Orlando Ledbetter, who covers the Atlanta Falcons, is the organization’s president for 2013-15 term.
The PFWA issues the following awards: an All-NFL team published by Pro Football Weekly, one NFL Most Valuable Player Award (since 1975), the Dick McCann Memorial Award, the George S. Halas Courage Award, the Good Guy award, the Horrigan Award, and the Rozelle Award.
- 1 Awards
- 2 Past presidents
- 3 See also
- 4 References
NFL Most Valuable Player Award
NFL Defensive Player of the Year Award
NFL Rookie of the Year Award
NFL Comeback Player of the Year Award
George S. Halas Courage Award
- Note: The George S. Halas Courage Award should not be confused with the Newspaper Enterprise Association's George S. Halas Trophy that was awarded to the NFL defensive player of the year from 1966 to 1996, or the NFL's George Halas Trophy that is awarded to the National Football Conference champion.
The George S. Halas Courage Award is given to the player or coach who has performed with abandon despite injury or personal problems.
In May 1970, the Halas Award went to Gale Sayers for his comeback from knee surgery to lead the NFL in rushing in 1969. In New York, at the Pro Football Writers Association banquet, Gale Sayers gave an emotional speech that was memorialized in the film Brian's Song. Said Sayers, "You flatter me by giving me this award, but I’ll tell you here and now that I accept it for Brian Piccolo. Brian Piccolo is the man of courage who should receive the George S. Halas Award. I accept it tonight, but I’ll present it to Brian tomorrow. I love Brian Piccolo. And I’d like all of you to love him, too. And tonight, when you hit your knees, ask God to love him, too."
Other notable winners of the PFWA Halas Award include Joe Namath, Steeler running back Rocky Bleier, Hall of Fame cornerback Jimmy Johnson, New York Giant cancer survivor Karl Nelson, Hall of Famers Dan Hampton and Joe Montana, Denver Broncos guard Mark Schlereth, former N.Y. Giant Kerry Collins, San Francisco 49ers Garrison Hearst  and Bryant Young, Carolina coach and former linebacker Sam Mills, Dolphins running back Robert Edwards, Carolina linebacker Mark Fields, Indianapolis Colt Head Coach Tony Dungy, New Orleans Saints quarterback Drew Brees, New England Patriots Owner Robert Kraft (first NFL owner and first Patriot to receive one), and former Saints safety and ALS patients' advocate, Steve Gleason.
Good Guy Award
The PFWA Good Guy Award has been given annually since 2005 to an NFL player "for his qualities and professional style in helping pro football writers do their jobs."
|2005||Jerome Bettis||Pittsburgh Steelers|
|2006||Tiki Barber||New York Giants|
|2007||LaDainian Tomlinson||San Diego Chargers|
|2008||Brett Favre||Green Bay Packers|
|2009||Kurt Warner||Arizona Cardinals|
|2010||Drew Brees||New Orleans Saints|
|2011||Aaron Rodgers||Green Bay Packers|
|2012||Tim Tebow||Denver Broncos|
|2013||Tony Gonzalez||Atlanta Falcons|
|2014||Russell Wilson||Seattle Seahawks|
|2015||Richard Sherman||Seattle Seahawks|
- See: Jack Horrigan
Dick McCann Memorial Award
The Rozelle Award is given to the club public relations department that consistently strives for excellence in its dealings and relationships with the media. It is named after Pete Rozelle, the fourth commissioner of the NFL.
- George Strickler, Chicago Tribune
- Tony Atchison, Washington Star
- John Steadman, Baltimore News-American
- William Guthrie, New Haven Journal
- Joe King, New York World-Telegram
- Dick Connor, Denver Post
- Edwin Pope, Miami Herald
- Larry Felser, Buffalo News
- Paul Zimmerman, Sports Illustrated
- Larry Fox, New York Daily News
- Bob Roesler, New Orleans Times Picayune
- Cooper Rollow, Chicago Tribune
- Vito Stellino, Baltimore Morning Sun
- Glenn Sheeley, Atlanta Journal-Constitution
- Don Pierson, Chicago Tribune
- Ira Miller, San Francisco Chronicle
- Vic Carucci, Buffalo News
- Len Pasquarelli, Atlanta Journal-Constitution
- Steve Schoenfeld, Arizona Republic
- John Clayton, Tacoma News-Tribune
- Adam Schefter, Denver Post
- John McClain, Houston Chronicle
- David Elfin, Washington Times
- Charean Williams, Fort Worth Star-Telegram
- Mark Gaughan, Buffalo News
- D.Orlando Ledbetter Atlanta Journal-Constitution (current)
- Football Writers Association of America (college)
- Baseball Writers Association of America
- National Collegiate Baseball Writers Association
- Pro Basketball Writers Association
- United States Basketball Writers Association (college)
- Professional Hockey Writers Association
- National Sportscasters and Sportswriters Association
- "Pro Football Writers of America". Pfwa.org. Retrieved 2015-10-16.
-  Archived February 2, 2007 at the Wayback Machine
- "Gale Sayers - Suffers Serious Knee Injury - Season, Award, Piccolo, and Brian - JRank Articles". Sports.jrank.org. Retrieved 2015-10-16.
- Michael E. Eidenmuller. "Movie Speech from Brian's Song - Gale Sayers Accepts George Halas Trophy for Courage". American Rhetoric. Retrieved 2015-10-16.
- "ESPN Classic - Courageous Piccolo never lost hope". Espn.go.com. 2003-11-19. Retrieved 2015-10-16.
- [dead link]
- [dead link]
- Joseph McDonald (2006-05-03). "The Bookends Interview: Karl Nelson :: NY Sports Day - Independent New York Giants Coverage". NY Sports Day. Retrieved 2015-10-16.
- "Vic Carucci and Football". Livingprimetime.com. Retrieved 2015-10-16.
- [dead link]
- "PLUS - PRO FOOTBALL - Halas Award Goes To Giants' Collins - NYTimes.com". Select.nytimes.com. 2001-06-19. Retrieved 2015-10-16.
- "49ers Champ's Incredible Fan Paradise Paradise Press". 49ersparadise.com. 2002-06-20. Retrieved 2015-10-16.
- [dead link]
- "Panthers 20, Rams 7 - NFL - Yahoo Sports". Sports.yahoo.com. 2004-12-12. Retrieved 2015-10-16.
- [dead link]
- "McGinest tackles some topics - The Boston Globe". Boston.com. 2005-07-24. Retrieved 2015-10-16.
-  Archived October 22, 2006 at the Wayback Machine
-  Archived May 9, 2007 at the Wayback Machine
- "Robert Kraft selected as PFWA's 2012 George Halas Award winner | New England Patriots". Patriots.com. Retrieved 2015-10-16.
- "Steve Gleason selected as PFWA’s 2015 George Halas award winner", New Orleans Saints, June 15, 2015.
- "Good Guy Award | PFWA". Profootballwriters.org. Retrieved 2015-10-16.