Problem in December 2013
|Birth name||Jason Martin|
May 8, 1985|
Würzburg, West Germany
|Origin||Compton, California, U.S.|
|Occupation(s)||Rapper, record producer, songwriter|
|Labels||Diamond Lane Music Group (current), Universal (former)|
|Associated acts||E-40, DJ Quik, Iamsu!, Terrace Martin, Bad Lucc|
Jason Martin (born May 8, 1985), better known by his stage name Problem, is an American rapper and record producer. He has released nine mixtapes in his career, the most recent being The Separation, released on June 13, 2013. His debut EP, Understand Me, was released on December 10, 2013. He is best known for his single "Like Whaaat" and for featuring on E-40's "Function".
Problem was born in Würzburg, West Germany and grew up in Compton, California. He entered the industry by writing a verse for producer and cousin Terrace Martin, for a song called "Be Thankful", featured on Snoop Dogg's compilation album The Big Squeeze. The track garnered praise from notable artist such as Nas and Talib Kweli amongst others. Problem began recording records with various West Coast artists such as Daz, Kurupt, Snoop Dogg, and DJ Quik. Problem's first big break was when Snoop Dogg heard a record which was also produced by Terrace Martin called "Neva Hafta To Wurry About That". He went on to write three records on Snoop Dogg's Ego Trippin' album.
In 2008, Problem and his cousin founded Diamond Lane Music Group. Then in 2009, he signed an unsuccessful two-single major label deal with Universal. However his breakout moment would be when he was featured on E-40's single "Function" along with YG and Iamsu!. Since that time, Problem has worked with the various artists such as Jamie Foxx, Game, Kendrick Lamar, Bobby V, 9th Wonder, Chris Brown, Wiz Khalifa, Nipsey Hussle, Warren G, Childish Gambino, Pharrell Williams, Jim Jones, Travis Barker, and John Legend among many others. Over his career Problem has released seven mixtapes. On February 13, 2013, Problem released a collaborative mixtape with Iamsu! titled Million Dollar Afro with guest appearances from Juvenile, Too Short and Omarion.
On June 13, 2013, he released a mixtape titled The Separation with guest appearances from Wale, T.I., Snoop Dogg, Game, Chris Brown, Tank, Tyga and Wiz Khalifa among others. His 2013 song "Like Whaaat," featuring Bad Lucc, peaked at #20 on the Bubbling Under Hot 100 singles chart, becoming his most successful song. On July 23, 2013, he released "Say That Then," featuring Glasses Malone.
In November 2013, Problem announced that he would release his debut album independently through Diamond Lane Music Group. He revealed that he would be primarily producing the album along with League of Starz. On December 10, 2013, Problem released a retail EP called Understand Me, featuring songs such as "Like Whaaat", "Say That Then" and "Understand Me". Problem appeared in a branded music video alongside Neil Patrick Harris for the drink product Neuro in February 2014.
Problem made a splash for his hometown city when he partnered with the Los Angeles Rams to create the team's theme song, "My Squad," for the 2016-17 NFL season. The release included an official music video that was shot to look like Snapchat.
After gaining much success on the mixtape circuit, Problem finally released his debut album, Selfish, in November 2017. The project showcases some of his most personal work yet.
- "Problem Talks 'Welcome To Mollywood,' Getting Started in Rap and More". Vibe. 2012-05-22. Retrieved 2013-06-24.
- "Snoop Dogg Presents The Big Squeeze: Snoop Dogg: Music". Amazon.com. Retrieved 2013-06-24.
- "Problem — 25 New Rappers to Watch Out For". Complex. Retrieved 2013-08-29.
- "Interview: Problem « The FADER". Thefader.com. 2013-04-17. Retrieved 2013-06-24.
- JoJo Kool says: (2013-02-15). "Download Problem and IamSu!'s Million Dollar Afro Mixtape « The FADER". Thefader.com. Retrieved 2013-06-24.
- DiAmante' Astillero (2013-06-13). "Problem "The Separation" Mixtape Tracklist, Cover Art | Get The Latest Hip Hop News, Rap News & Hip Hop Album Sales". HipHop DX. Retrieved 2013-06-24.
- "iTunes - Music - Say That Then (feat. Glasses Malone) - Single by Problem". Itunes.apple.com. 2013-07-23. Retrieved 2013-08-29.
- Jackson, Dan (2013-11-07). "Problem Keeps It Independent With His Next Album - XXL". Xxlmag.com. Retrieved 2014-08-10.
- "Understand Me - EP Problem". iTunes Preview. Apple Inc. 10 December 2013. Retrieved 14 February 2014.
- "Morning Update: Neil Patrick Harris in branded music video for Neuro; Mini kicks off global creative review; Cadbury can boogie in new ad". Mumbrella. Focal Attractions. 14 February 2014. Retrieved 14 February 2014.
- http://hiphopdx.com, HipHopDX -. "Problem Links With Los Angeles Rams For Team Anthem, "My Squad"". HipHopDX. Retrieved 2018-04-10.
- Hernandez, Victoria. "Compton-raised artist Problem looks inward on 'Selfish'". latimes.com. Retrieved 2018-04-10.