A major contributor to this article appears to have a close connection with its subject. (September 2018)
Type of site
|Registration||Optional (required to vote)|
|Launched||November 6, 2013|
|Native client(s) on||iOS, Android, macOS, Google Chrome|
Product Hunt is an American website to share and discover new products. It was founded by Ryan Hoover in November 2013.
Users submit products, which are listed in a linear format by day. The site includes a comments system and a voting system similar to Hacker News or Reddit. The products with the most votes rise to the top of each day's list.
Products are organized into four categories; technology products (web apps, mobile apps, hardware products, etc.), games (PC, web, mobile apps), books and podcasts. A submission simply requires a product title, URL, and tagline. As of 2016, according to Hoover, the website has led to the discovery of over 100 million products across 50,000 companies.
The site also includes a daily email list that sends out yesterday's top tech "hunts" (products) as well as a featured collection. A version of the digest is also available for games and books.
Product Hunt launched on November 6, 2013 when it began as an email list built using Linkydink. The first version of the website was developed by Nathan Bashaw and Ryan Hoover over the Thanksgiving break in 2013. On July 17, 2014, the company announced its Y Combinator backing.
On February 5, 2015, the company won the "best new startup" of 2014 Crunchie award.
In July 2019, the company launched "Launch Day" to help users monitor their entire launch in real time.
In October 2020, the company announced Josh Buckley, angel investor and founder of Mino Games, as its new CEO.
In 2017, Product Hunt launched Ship, a new toolkit for makers to ship products. The product lets makers create Upcoming Pages before the product is publicly available, and through which they are able to communicate with interested parties.
- Konrad, Alex. "AngelList Acquires Popular Tech Discovery Site Product Hunt To Go After Startup Jobs Search". Forbes. Retrieved 2019-03-16.
- Pierce, David (2015-12-10). "Product Hunt Is Tech's New Tastemaker, and It Has Big Plans". Wired. ISSN 1059-1028. Retrieved 2019-03-16.
- Coren, Michael (2016-12-01). "Product Hunt was acquired and venture capital may never be the same again". Quartz. "Quartz" owned by "Atlantic Media".
- Kokalitcheva, Kia (2016-12-01). "AngelList Acquires Product Hunt to Form a Startup Discovery Powerhouse". Fortune. "Fortune" owned by "Time Inc. (Meredith Corporation)".
- Klein, Laura; Rutter, Kate (1 November 2016). Build Better Products: A Modern Approach to Building Successful User-Centered Products. Rosenfeld Media. p. 265. ISBN 978-1933820583.
- Kia Kokalitcheva (2014-07-17). "Product Hunt's rise: From email experiment to launchpad for startups & VC deals". VentureBeat. Retrieved 2014-07-17.
- Bashaw, Nathan (2014-06-25). "The Origin of Product Hunt". Let’s Make Things. Retrieved 2018-04-30.
- Ryan Hoover (2014-07-17). "YC + PH". Retrieved 2014-07-17.
- Romain Dillet. "Product Hunt Is The Social News Site Of Tech Products Read By Influential People". TechCrunch. Retrieved 2014-07-17.
- Steven Tweedie (2014-10-08). "After Becoming A Must-Read For The Tech World In Less Than 12 Months, Product Hunt Is Getting $6.1 Million In Funding". Business Insider. Retrieved 2015-02-20.
- Basich, Zoran (2014-10-08). "Andreessen Horowitz Backs Expansion Plans For Hot Tech Site Product Hunt". Wall Street Journal. "Wall Street Journal" owned by "News Corp".
- Sarah Perez (2015-02-05). "Product Hunt Wins Best New Startup Of 2014". TechCrunch. Retrieved 2015-02-20.
- "Why can't I post a podcast anymore?". Retrieved 11 January 2018.
- "Product Hunt wants to help you ship your product with its new product Ship – TechCrunch". techcrunch.com. Retrieved 2018-06-03.
- "Product Hunt has a news app called Sip (and it's a bit like Twitter Moments)". 2018-06-01. Retrieved 2018-06-01.
- "Product Hunt launches no-spam tech news digest app Sip". 2018-06-01. Retrieved 2018-06-01.
- "Sunsetting Sip: A Post Mortem". Product Hunt. Retrieved 2020-09-15.
- "Product Hunt's New CEO: Josh Buckley". Product Hunt. Retrieved 2020-10-22.
- "Ship by Product Hunt". Product Hunt. Retrieved 2018-09-08.
- "Mentors". Product Hunt. Retrieved 2020-09-15.