This article needs additional citations for verification. (March 2011) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)
In film and television, a production designer (PD) is the person responsible for the overall visual look of the production. Production designers have a key creative role in the creation of motion pictures and television. Working directly with the director, cinematographer, and producer, they must select the settings and style to visually tell the story. The term production designer was coined by William Cameron Menzies while he was working on the film Gone with the Wind. Previously (and often subsequently) the people with the same responsibilities were called art directors. It is sometimes also described as scenic design or set design.
Societies and trade organizations
In the United States and British Columbia, production designers are represented by the International Alliance of Theatrical Stage Employees local 800, the Art Directors Guild. The production design credit must be requested by the producer, prior to completion of photography, and submitted to the Art Directors Guild Board of Directors for the credit approval. In the rest of Canada, production designers are represented by the Director's Guild of Canada. In the United Kingdom members of the art department are represented by the non-union British Film Designers Guild who hold yearly awards to celebrate their members work.
- Academy Award for Best Art Direction
- Academy Award for Best Production Design
- Art Directors Guild Hall of Fame
- Category:Production designers
- List of British production designers
- Scenic design
- Barnwell, Jane (2004). Production Design: Architects of the Screen. London: Wallflower. ISBN 978-1-903364-55-0.
- Block, Bruce (2001). The Visual Story: Seeing the Structure of Film, TV, and New Media. Boston: Focal Press. ISBN 978-0-240-80467-5.
- Ede, Laurie N. (2010). British Film Design: A History. London: I.B. Tauris. ISBN 978-1-84-885108-5.
- Katz, Ephraim (2005). The Film Encyclopedia (5th ed.). New York: Collins. ISBN 978-0-06-074214-0.
- Tast, Hans-Jürgen, ed. (2005). Anton Weber (1904–1979): Filmarchitekt bei der UFA. Schellerten, Germany: Kulleraugen. ISBN 978-3-88842-030-6.
- Art Directors Guild, IATSE Local 800 Union local representing Art Directors and Production Designers
- ADG Art Direction Wiki Online community and knowledge base relating to film design
- British Film Designers Guild
- The Austrian Filmdesigners Association (VÖF - Verband Österreichischer FilmausstatterInnen).
- Production Design Training Toi Whakaari: NZ Drama School
- Production Design training in Auckland NZ at Unitec Performing and Screen Arts
|This biographical article related to film is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|