This article contains content that is written like an advertisement. (January 2017) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)
|Motto||An Innovator in Professional Education|
|Chairman||Frank E. Baxter|
|Campus||Campuses in Cerritos and Los Angeles, online programs also available|
Fremont College is a for-profit college that provides educational opportunities for working adults. The college is based in Cerritos, California with a virtual online campus. Fremont offers professional degree programs in the following fields: Multimedia Design, Business, Legal Studies, and Healthcare. The school's intensive bachelor's degree program is part of a degree completion program that spans 15 months. The associate degree program also spans 15 months. The college is owned by Fremont Private Investments.
The school traces its origins to the founding of Platt College in 1879 in St. Joseph, Missouri in 1879 as one of the first business schools west of the Mississippi. The Southern California branch campus was established in 1986. The college's current Chancellor and CEO, Sabrina Kay, assumed leadership in 2007. Under Dr. Kay's direction, Fremont College adopted the framework of Work-Based Learning Leadership taught at The Wharton School. The teaching methodology referred to as Professional Action Learning (PAL) was also implemented under the new leadership.
Colleges and programs
Fremont College offers degree programs through four colleges: College of Multimedia Design, College of Business, College of Legal Studies, and College of Healthcare. Online degree programs are available in Multimedia Design and Business Leadership.
GED Exam Preparation
Fremont College offers online GED preparation courses to prospective students who need to pass the GED exam before enrolling in a degree program.
Fremont College is accredited by the Accrediting Commission of Career Schools and Colleges (ACCSC) to award Bachelor of Arts degrees (BA), Associate of Arts degrees (AA), Associate of Science degrees (AS), and Diplomas. In 2012, Fremont College was recognized as a School of Distinction by the ACCSC for delivering quality educational programs to students. Its paralegal studies program is approved by the American Bar Association Standing Committee on Paralegal Education. Currently, Fremont College is one of only 28 ABA-approved paralegal schools in California.
Fremont College’s teaching methodology is based on research conducted by Dr. Sabrina Kay during her studies at USC and the Wharton School at the University of Pennsylvania. The teaching methodology, referred to as Professional Action Learning (PAL), attempts to teach students using a variety of instructional techniques beyond standard textbooks and exams. PAL is designed to make use of the operating concepts behind the Herrmann Brain Dominance Instrument (HBDI) and action learning methods to determine students’ learning strengths and actively engage students in the learning process. The methodology involves guest speakers, videos, hands-on skills practice, group discussion, questions, dialogue, and student presentations.
PAL involves a six-step process:
1) Content delivery via lectures, textbooks, anecdotes, and current events.
2) Questioning dialogue based on class content.
3) Group discussion: students collaborate in small groups on topics and projects.
4) Teachback, in which students take different roles and present group project results.
5) Final reflective summary: students complete journals, exams, and papers.
6) Students’ work becomes a part of the school’s learning archive and becomes future content.
The College also follows the immersion education philosophy, where students focus on a single course at a time in order to focus on the subject matter before moving on to the next topic.
Fremont’s curriculum is regularly reviewed by its advisory board.
- "Fremont College is accredited by the Accrediting Commission of Career Schools and Colleges (ACCSC)".
- "Fremont College receives 2012 School of Distinction Award from the Accrediting Commission of Career Schools and Colleges (ACCSC)".
- Approved Paralegal Education Programs, American Bar Association, Standing Committee on Paralegals. Retrieved January 30, 2010.
- "Fremont College is one of only 28 ABA-approved paralegal schools in California".
- "Fremont College's Advisory Board Members".