Professional Lacrosse League
Current season, competition or edition:|
2012 Professional Lacrosse League season
|No. of teams||2|
The Professional Lacrosse League (PLL) was a men's professional indoor lacrosse league in the United States. It was announced in 2012 with its inaugural season scheduled to begin in September 2012. The league originated in a split with the North American Lacrosse League (NALL).
The Professional Lacrosse League developed out of a rift in the North American Lacrosse League, which was originally scheduled to start play with five teams in January 2012. Weeks before the NALL season was to start, four of the teams – the Charlotte Copperheads, the Hershey Haymakers, the Jacksonville Bullies, and the Wilkes-Barre/Scranton Shamrocks – announced that the NALL had relieved acting Commissioner Anthony Caruso of duty and would be switching from a winter to a fall schedule. In turn, Caruso responded that his removal was illegitimate and that he remained in charge of the NALL, which would keep to the winter schedule. The dispute went to litigation, with the result that winter faction kept the NALL name and branding, while the fall faction formed the PLL.
Brett Vickers was announced as PLL League President. The league expects to start play with four teams in September 2012, however, the Haymakers and Shamrocks franchises have not secured arena leases and are currently searching for new locations.
On July 11, 2012 the Commissioner Brett Vickers announced on Twitter "@PLLcommissioner I love throwing people off by setting up websites." & "Heading South..........had two great meetings in the two new PLL cities Wednesday and yesterday. Excited about September!"  Adding speculation that New Jersey may not be the league's newest member.
On August 28, Brett Vickers resigned from the PLL.
On September 6, 2012, New Jersey Rascals CEO announced "It is with a heavy heart that we announce the New Jersey Rascals will not be playing this season. We believe it is in the best interest of our fans, the Sun National Bank Center, our corporate partners and sponsors to take another year to explore the many ways that we can build on the great momentum we are seeing in the Mercer County area." With the loss of the Rascals, the 2012 PLL season was in serious jeopardy. The Rascals have since become a charter member of the new United States Lacrosse League which also failed to launch.
|Charlotte Copperheads||Charlotte, North Carolina||Bojangles' Coliseum (9,605)|
|Reading Rockets||Reading, Pennsylvania||Sovereign Center (7,083)|
|Jacksonville Bullies||Jacksonville, Florida||Jacksonville Veterans Memorial Arena (13,141)|
|New Jersey Rascals||Trenton, New Jersey||Sun National Bank Center (7,604)|
- Andy Crossley (January 8, 2012). "Is This The Nuttiest League in America?". funwhileitlasted.net. Retrieved January 16, 2012.
- Laurel Pfahler (January 8, 2012). "North American Lacrosse League Splits In Two". laxmagazine.com. Lacrosse Magazine. Archived from the original on January 25, 2012. Retrieved January 16, 2012.
- Marisa Ingemi (April 26, 2012). "Professional Lacrosse League Announces Existence, Has Potential Television Deal". inlaxwetrust.com. Archived from the original on May 14, 2012. Retrieved April 27, 2012. Cite error: Invalid
<ref>tag; name "Ingemi" defined multiple times with different content (see the help page).
- Marisa Ingemi (April 12, 2012). "Case Closed: NALL vs PLL Lawsuit Settled, Terms Will Not be Made Public". inlaxwetrust.com. Archived from the original on April 16, 2012. Retrieved April 27, 2012.
- Jack N. Goods (May 2, 2012). "PLL: Paul Stewart Named VP of Lacrosse Operations". inlaxwetrust.com. Retrieved May 7, 2012.
- "Pro Indoor Lacrosse Heading to Trenton". ResSports.com. August 18, 2012. Retrieved August 18, 2012.
- Brett Vickers (July 11, 2012). "@PLLcommissioner". https://twitter.com/PLLcommissioner. Retrieved July 12, 2012. External link in
|work=(help) Cite error: Invalid
<ref>tag; name "Vickers" defined multiple times with different content (see the help page).
- Marisa Ingemi (September 6, 2012). "Rascals Fold, PLL in Major Jeopardy". http://inlacrossewetrust.com/?p=3204. Retrieved September 6, 2012. External link in