Professor Mike Donovan
|Professor Mike Donovan|
Professor Mike Donovan (on right) helping someone train, c.1910's
September 27, 1847
Chicago, Illinois, U.S.
|Died||March 24, 1918
The Bronx, New York, U.S.
|Other names||Professor Mike, Professor Mike O'Donovan|
|Height||1.73 m (5 ft 8 in)|
|Reach||67 in (170 cm)|
|Fighting out of||New York City, New York, U.S.|
|Professional boxing record|
Mike Donovan (September 27, 1847 – March 24, 1918) also known as Professor Mike Donovan and Mike O'Donovan was a middleweight boxer of the bare-knuckle era and later became one of the foremost teachers of the sport.
Professional boxing career
Life as instructor after retirement from boxing
Personal life, death and legacy
He was married to Cecilia and had 8 children: John J. Donovan, Margaret Donovan, Henry H. Donovan, Arthur Donovan, Mary V. Donovan, Helen Donovan, Lucy A. Donovan and Katherine Donovan. Donovan died from complications from a bout with pneumonia he developed while teaching a boxing class at one of the armories located near where he had resided in the Bronx, New York area in March 24, 1918, at St. Francis Hospital there, where he had been hospitalized for a week after coming down with pneumonia, at the age of 70. He was survived by his wife and children, who all had been at his bedside when he died.  After his death, Donovan's will indicated that his last name was actually O'Donovan. His silver championship belt was bequeathed to his son, Arthur Donovan (who himself would later become a legend in the boxing sport as a referee), who was serving in the U.S. Army, in the 105th Field Artillery at Spartanburg, South Carolina at the time, during World War I. His grandson, Art Donovan, Jr., is a member of the Pro Football Hall of Fame.
Donovan has been elected to the IBHOF.
- The Boxing Register: International Boxing Hall of Fame Official Record Book (4th Edition), By James B. Roberts, Alexander G. Skutt, page 23, McBooks Press, Ithaca,NY, ISBN 978-1-59013-121-3, 2006.
- Jeffrey T. Sammons (1990). Beyond the Ring: The Role of Boxing in American Society. University of Illinois Press. p. 22. ISBN 0252061454.
- ""Professor" Mike Donovan". Retrieved 1 November 2014.
- "Mike Donovan Dead", Noted Athletic Trainer Dies in Bronx (NY) Hospital, New York Times (.com) original article, March 24, 1918, accessed from NYTimes.com Archives on December 2, 2012.
- "Mike Donovan's Will Filed", Discoles an estate of $4,700 and that his name was O'Donovan, New York Times (.com) original article, April 3, 1918, accessed from NYTimes.com Archives on December 2, 2012.
- Professional boxing record for Professor Mike Donovan from BoxRec
- IBHOF Bio 
- Professor Mike Donovan at the International Boxing Hall of Fame (IBHOF)
- The Cyber Boxing Zone Encyclopedia -- Old Timer: "Professor" Mike Donovan
- Biography and Stats in The Boxing Register: IBHOF Official Record Book at Google Books