This article relies too much on references to primary sources. (January 2017) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)
|Running time||3 hours
(6:00 – 9:00 a.m. ET)
|Country of origin||United States|
|Home station||NBC Sports Radio (2007-present)|
|TV adaptations||NBCSN (7–9 a.m. ET)|
|Original release||January 5, 2015 – present|
|Website||Mike Florio | NBC Sports Radio|
Profootballtalk.com (PFT) is a news and rumor website that focuses on the National Football League. Though much of the information on PFT is aggregated from mainstream media sources, site editor Mike Florio often writes stories based on tips he attributes to a network of sources.
The main focus of the site is the "Daily Rumor Mill" consisting of postings of the aforementioned news items as well as editorializing by Florio. Throughout the season, weekly rankings of players at various positions for fantasy football are posted. Furthermore, the site maintains a year-round "Turd Watch" competition, in which teams are ranked based on the arrests of their personnel.
The site was created on November 1, 2001, by Florio, who is also the site's primary editor and contributor. Florio is responsible for the multiple daily updates to the primary page of the site, the "Daily Rumor Mill." In addition, content such as satirical photo-illustrations and periodic live blogs by Florio of NFL games or the draft.
|Mike Florio||Main contributor||Aside from his work on the website and appearances during halftime of Notre Dame games on NBC with Peter King, Florio works as a lawyer. He resides in West Virginia. Before creating the site, Florio worked at ESPN.com for a week.|
|Gregg Rosenthal||Contributor||Joined the writing staff following the affiliate agreement with NBC. Moved on to NFL.com in March 2012.|
|Michael David Smith||Contributor||Re-joined the writing staff in 2009 while still working for FanHouse|
|Josh Alper||Contributor||Author of "one-liners," short team-by-team news blurbs posted at least once a day|
|James Clinton||Technical Design||JetBlackNinja handles the design and layout of the site.|
|Joe Brocato||PFTV Contributor||Participated in the PFTV segments by asking Mike Florio questions. His day job is a sports reporter for a local West Virginia TV station. Left the site before the NBC Deal|
|Ted Sundquist||Twice a week contributor||Former Broncos GM that writes previews and reviews of three high-profile games per week, going over several 'keys to success. His stay was short on PFT'|
Former contributing writers include Tom Curran and Aaron Wilson.
Site sections / elements
- Rumor Mill – The main aspect of the site. Multiple articles are posted every day on all sorts of NFL related information.
- Fantasy Mill – Embedded content from Rotoworld.com concerning NFL Fantasy information.
- Teams – Contains links to individual team websites (official and unofficial), message boards and updated daily news links.
- Draft – Draft order list and trade value charts.
- Power Rankings – Ranking the 32 NFL Franchises, commenting on each as they're ranked.
- All-Turd teams – Annual 'All-turd' teams and 'Hall of Turds' inductions, which feature lists of players that Florio asserts are the worst "characters" of the NFL.
- PFT Gear – External link to merchandise available for purchase.
- Events – Listing of radio appearances.
- Media – Links to audio and video content supplemental to the main site content. Also contains link to sister site CollegeFootballTalk.com
- Turd Watch – Tracking the arrests of every member of NFL organizations and assigned points in a ranking system until 2009
- Live Blogs – Florio holds live chats with fans during NFL events, such as games, the draft and Brett Favre retirement press conferences
- Pic of the Day – Contained satirical pictures (often photoshopped) made by Taco Bill.
- Interviews – Interviews with Matt Birk, Antonio Bryant, Ben Leber, and Steve McKinney
- PFT Chronicles – a cartoon series about ProFootballTalk put together by "Tech Guy Sean"
- Agent Talk – a column written by Ron Del Ducca
- Media Mutterings – a column written by Gene Amadao
- Dante's Draft Links – a person claiming to be medieval poet Dante Alighieri ranked (made fun of) NFL draft websites
- The Simple Truth – A column by Fox Sports's Jason Smith
- The Dirty Dozen' – Florio's list of the 12 worst NFL franchise
ProFootballTalk posted and thus spread the unconfirmed rumor on January 25, 2007 that broadcaster and former Pittsburgh Steelers quarterback Terry Bradshaw had died in a car accident. This proved to be incorrect.
A similar instance occurred on the September 14, 2009 when the crew of Profootballtalk.com erroneously reported a quote from Keyshawn Johnson in referring to Joe Flacco as a "bum". A correction to this was posted on the September 15.