This article has multiple issues. Please help improve it or discuss these issues on the talk page. (Learn how and when to remove these template messages)(Learn how and when to remove this template message)
ProgrammableWeb is an information and news source about the Web as a programmable platform. It is a subsidiary of MuleSoft and has offices in San Francisco, CA. The website publishes a repository of web APIs, mashups, and applications, and has documented over 12,000 open web APIs and thousands of applications. It has been called the "journal of the API economy" by TechCrunch.
ProgrammableWeb was founded in 2005 by John Musser and had documented 1,000 APIs by November 2008.
In June 2010, Alcatel-Lucent acquired ProgrammableWeb as part of a move by the company to align themselves closer to the developer community. Alcatel-Lucent was looking to integrate ProgrammableWeb’s API monitoring services and other API related technologies with its own Open API Service and Developer Platform to strengthen its relationship with developers. During ProgrammableWeb’s time with Alcatel-Lucent, they documented over 8,000 APIs.
ProgrammableWeb.com has two major sections:
- API Directory and Technology Listings: A massive searchable directory of over 15,500 web APIs that are updated daily as well as listings of various mashups, applications, frameworks, libraries, and SDKs.
- News, Analysis, and Reviews: Daily news on web technology, APIs, and other relevant web information as well as analysis of current trends and reviews of various web technologies.
- "API Directory". ProgrammableWeb.
- "Veteran News Editor David Berlind Joins Programmable Web, The Journal Of The API Economy". TechCrunch. AOL.
- "Let A Thousand Web APIs Blossom". TechCrunch. AOL.
- Alcatel-Lucent (29 June 2010). "Alcatel-Lucent Acquires Leading Web 2.0 API Repository ProgrammableWeb". prnewswire.com.
- "MuleSoft Acquires ProgrammableWeb". MuleSoft.
- Wauters, Robin (23 April 2013). "ProgrammableWeb – the destination for all things API – gets bought again, this time by MuleSoft". The Next Web. Retrieved 26 May 2017.
- "About ProgrammableWeb". ProgrammableWeb.