Bandar Seri Begawan, Brunei
|Services||HSDPA, UMTS, W-CDMA, EDGE, GPRS, GSM, LTE|
Number of employees
Progresif Sdn Bhd. (formerly known as Progresif Cellular Sdn Bhd) is a Brunei-based Government Linked Company headquartered in Bandar Seri Begawan, Brunei. Founded in 2014, Progresif now has more than 130 employees and around 200,000 customers, with eight retail stores throughout the kingdom.
Progresif was established in June 2014 after acquiring assets and infrastructure left by the now defunct B-Mobile Communications Sdn Bhd.
In July 2014, Progresif appointed Paul Hyde as chief executive officer, and entered into an $18 million contract with Chinese multinational telecommunications equipment provider Huawei to help update legacy infrastructure and launch a network stabilisation program. This project required a full replacement of the mobile core network and Radio Access Network, in addition to upgrading the backhaul network and all base stations from 3G to HSPA+. In February 2016, the company announced plans to launch 4G LTE technology, and in April 2017, the company submitted an official request to Brunei's telecoms regulatory body, Authority for Info-Communications Technology Industry (AITI), to begin trial of a 4G network.
In June 2017, telecom industry veteran Paul Taylor was named as CEO of the company. In October 2017, Progresif relaunched the company website, adding significant content in the areas of news, local events, and technology, as well as content from the company's quarterly magazine, and articles on the Arts & Culture, Environment, Education, and Entrepreneurship.
After the formation of Unified National Network (UNN), Progresif relaunched their products and services in January 2020. At the same time, Hjh Nurul Haniah binti Hj Md Jaafar was internally promoted to the position of chief executive officer.
In 2017, Progresif launched Progresif Solutions, a division devoted to enterprise solutions, particularly for business, banking, and government entities. The first execution was for oil refinery operator Hengyi Industries Sdn Bhd, a subsidiary of Hong Kong Tianyi International Holding Co., Ltd., for a project site in Pulau Muara Besar and company headquarters at the Empire Hotel & Country Club.
Internet radio and magazine
Progresif launched Progresif Radio, Brunei's first mobile radio station, in November 2017, with dedicated apps available in Google Play and the App store. The station features localized content, user-generated content, and local bands, as well as premium international content. Auditions for DJ positions at the station attracted more than 100 applicants in August 2017.
Progresif PAY mobile wallet
In May 2018, Progresif (partnered with Bank Islam Brunei Darussalam) released Progresif PAY, Brunei's first mobile wallet platform. The branchless banking system allows Progresif subscribers to create a virtual debit card, with which they can pay bills, make donations, send money to other Progresif PAY users, and shop online.
Progresif has five retail stores located around Brunei. They are;
- Progresif Brunei International Airport Store, Berakas
- Progresif The Mall Store, Gadong
- Progresif Times Square Shopping Complex, Berakas
- Progresif Tutong Store, Tutong
- Progresif Yayasan Store, Bandar Seri Begawan
- ^ a b Bandial, Ain (December 30, 2019). "As Brunei's telcos scramble to adjust to a new business landscape, how will Progresif meet the challenge?". The Scoop. Archived from the original on January 3, 2020.
- ^ Paul Budde Communication Pty Ltd. (2015-12-15). "Brunei Darussalam - Telecoms, Mobile and Broadband". Market Research Reports® Inc. Archived from the original on 2017-12-01. Retrieved 2017-11-30.
- ^ "Progresif Cellular appoints CEO". www.customerzone360.com. Archived from the original on 2017-12-01. Retrieved 2017-11-30.
- ^ Jimi-Ha. "LOCAL NEWS". 3g.modasys.net. Retrieved 2017-11-30.
- ^ "Progresif to Upgrade 2 Primary Licences | Brunei's No.1 News Website". www.brudirect.com. Archived from the original on 2017-12-01. Retrieved 2017-11-30.
- ^ Oxford Business Group (2016-02-29). "Competition heats up in Brunei Darussalam's telecoms industry". Oxford Business Group. Archived from the original on 2017-11-30. Retrieved 2017-11-30.
|last=has generic name (help)
- ^ "A milestone for Progresif as 4G trial begins – Borneo Bulletin Online". Borneo Bulletin Online. 2017-04-08. Archived from the original on 2017-12-01. Retrieved 2017-11-30.
- ^ "Progresif eyes 4G network". Retrieved 2017-11-30.
- ^ "Paul Taylor at helm of Progresif Cellular – Borneo Bulletin Online". Borneo Bulletin Online. 2017-06-06. Archived from the original on 2017-12-01. Retrieved 2017-11-30.
- ^ Bakar, Haadi. "Progresif has a new website | geekturf". geekturf.net. Archived from the original on 2017-12-22. Retrieved 2017-12-19.
- ^ Guan, Tan Wee (2017-05-25). "Brunei's Progresif Cellular enters regional market with cost-effective enterprise solutions". Asia News Network. Retrieved 2018-08-25.
- ^ "Company Overview of Hengyi Industries.Sdn.Bhd". www.bloomberg.com. Archived from the original on 2018-05-13. Retrieved 2018-08-25.
- ^ "Progresif, Hengyi pen landmark data connection and solutions deal | Borneo Bulletin Online". borneobulletin.com.bn. Archived from the original on 2018-08-26. Retrieved 2018-08-25.
- ^ "Progresif set to take radio into 21st century". Archived from the original on 2017-11-18. Retrieved 2017-12-19.
- ^ "Progresif Radio app now available for download – Borneo Bulletin Online". Borneo Bulletin Online. 2017-11-12. Archived from the original on 2017-12-22. Retrieved 2017-12-19.
- ^ Hazwan, Amir (2017-11-14). "A New Radio to listen to! | Progresif Radio - Sutera". Sutera. Retrieved 2017-12-19.
- ^ "The Sweet Sound Of Radio – Borneo Insider's Guide". borneoinsidersguide.com. Archived from the original on 2017-12-22. Retrieved 2017-12-19.
- ^ Guan, Tan Wee (2017-08-23). "Brunei radio DJ auditions attract over 100 people". Asia News Network. Archived from the original on 2018-11-18. Retrieved 2017-12-19.
- ^ "Progresif launches Brunei's first mobile wallet | Borneo Bulletin Online". borneobulletin.com.bn. Archived from the original on 2018-07-10. Retrieved 2018-07-10.
- ^ "Rano360.com » Progresif Pay is out". rano360.com. Archived from the original on 2018-07-12. Retrieved 2018-07-10.
- ^ "Contact – Progresif". progresif.com. Archived from the original on 6 August 2020. Retrieved 9 August 2020.