Progress Village, Florida
|• Total||3.25 sq mi (8.42 km2)|
|• Land||3.03 sq mi (7.84 km2)|
|• Water||0.22 sq mi (0.58 km2)|
|Elevation||16 ft (5 m)|
|• Density||3,697.29/sq mi (1,427.69/km2)|
|Time zone||UTC-5 (Eastern (EST))|
|• Summer (DST)||UTC-4 (EDT)|
|GNIS feature ID||0301139|
Progress Village is located near the geographic center of Hillsborough County and is bordered by Palm River-Clair Mel to the north, Riverview to the east, and Gibsonton to the south. Interstate 75 forms the eastern edge of the CDP, and the western edge follows County Road 573. Progress Village is 9 miles (14 km) southeast of downtown Tampa.
According to the United States Census Bureau, the CDP has a total area of 3.2 square miles (8.4 km2), of which 3.0 square miles (7.8 km2) are land and 0.2 square miles (0.6 km2), or 6.90%, are water.
|U.S. Decennial Census|
|Race / Ethnicity||Pop 2010||Pop 2020||% 2010||% 2020|
|White alone (NH)||1,547||3,125||28.69%||27.93%|
|Black or African American alone (NH)||2,699||3,944||50.06%||35.25%|
|Native American or Alaska Native alone (NH)||7||29||0.13%||0.26%|
|Asian alone (NH)||210||555||3.89%||4.96%|
|Pacific Islander alone (NH)||1||2||0.02%||0.02%|
|Some Other Race alone (NH)||19||114||0.35%||1.02%|
|Mixed Race/Multi-Racial (NH)||108||530||2.00%||4.74%|
|Hispanic or Latino (any race)||801||2,889||14.86%||25.82%|
Note: the US Census treats Hispanic/Latino as an ethnic category. This table excludes Latinos from the racial categories and assigns them to a separate category. Hispanics/Latinos can be of any race.
As of the census of 2000, there were 2,482 people, 853 households, and 622 families residing in the community. The population density was 737.4 inhabitants per square mile (284.7/km2). There were 905 housing units at an average density of 268.9 per square mile (103.8/km2). The racial makeup of the community was 6.69% White, 90.73% African American, 0.04% Native American, 0.12% Asian, 0.08% Pacific Islander, 1.09% from other races, and 1.25% from two or more races. Hispanic or Latino of any race were 2.74% of the population.
There were 853 households, out of which 28.5% had children under the age of 18 living with them, 37.9% were married couples living together, 28.1% had a female householder with no husband present, and 27.0% were non-families. 22.9% of all households were made up of individuals, and 11.5% had someone living alone who was 65 years of age or older. The average household size was 2.91 and the average family size was 3.41.
In the community the population was spread out, with 30.9% under the age of 18, 7.6% from 18 to 24, 23.3% from 25 to 44, 23.3% from 45 to 64, and 14.9% who were 65 years of age or older. The median age was 35 years. For every 100 females, there were 83.9 males. For every 100 females age 18 and over, there were 75.7 males.
The median income for a household in the community was $27,708, and the median income for a family was $32,384. Males had a median income of $24,440 versus $21,521 for females. The per capita income for the community was $11,781. About 15.1% of families and 18.4% of the population were below the poverty line, including 29.9% of those under age 18 and 14.8% of those age 65 or over.
Progress Village Middle Magnet School of the Arts and Jack Lamb Elementary School are on the southern edge of Progress Village.
- "2020 U.S. Gazetteer Files". United States Census Bureau. Retrieved October 31, 2021.
- "U.S. Census website". United States Census Bureau. Retrieved 2008-01-31.
- "US Board on Geographic Names". United States Geological Survey. 2007-10-25. Retrieved 2008-01-31.
- "Progress Village CDP, Florida". United States Census Bureau. Retrieved March 13, 2022.
- "Geographic Identifiers: 2010 Demographic Profile Data (G001): Progress Village CDP, Florida". American Factfinder. U.S. Census Bureau. Retrieved May 5, 2017.[dead link]
- "Decennial Census of Population and Housing by Decades". US Census Bureau.
- "P2 HISPANIC OR LATINO, AND NOT HISPANIC OR LATINO BY RACE – 2010: DEC Redistricting Data (PL 94-171) – Progress Village CDP, Florida". United States Census Bureau.
- "P2 HISPANIC OR LATINO, AND NOT HISPANIC OR LATINO BY RACE – 2020: DEC Redistricting Data (PL 94-171) – Progress Village CDP, Florida". United States Census Bureau.
- The following link outlines the planning and construction of Progress Village and includes correspondence files, working papers, and related documents covering years 1958-1970. The documents are in the University of South Florida Library and are not posted online: