Countries with a party member of Progressive Alliance in government
|Motto||Freedom, Justice, Solidarity|
|Formation||14–15 December 2012 (first conference)
22 May 2013 (foundation)
|Purpose||Global network of social-democratic political parties and organizations|
|Conference of the Progressive Alliance|
The Progressive Alliance (PA) is an international alliance of social-democratic and progressive political parties and organisations founded on 22 May 2013 in Leipzig, Germany. Progressive Alliance comprises 140 members from around the world.
The first step towards the creation of the Progressive Alliance was the decision in January 2012 by Sigmar Gabriel, Chairman of the Social Democratic Party of Germany (SPD), to cancel payment of the SPD's £100,000 yearly membership fee to the Socialist International. Gabriel had been critical of the Socialist International's admittance and continuing inclusion of undemocratic political movements into the organization.
An initial Conference of the Progressive Alliance was held in Rome, Italy on 14–15 December 2012, with representatives of 42 political parties attending. They included Pier Luigi Bersani, leader of the Democratic Party of Italy, Harlem Désir, Chair of the French Socialist Party, Hermes Binner, Chair of the Argentinian Socialist Party, Peter Shumlin, Democratic Governor of Vermont, and Mustapha Ben Jafar, Secretary General of the Tunisian Democratic Forum for Labour and Liberties. Also present were representatives of the Indian National Congress, the Workers Party of Brazil, and PASOK of Greece. The Dutch Labour Party also supported the formation of the organization, as did the Swiss Socialist Party, and the Social Democratic Party of Austria.
During the Council of the Socialist International in Cascais, Portugal, on 4– 5 February 2013, 50 political parties discussed on the sidelines the formation of the Progressive Alliance, including the Movement for Democratic Change of Zimbabwe.
The official foundation of the organization was held on the 22 May 2013 in Leipzig, Germany, on the 150th anniversary of the formation of the General German Workers' Association (ADAV), the predecessor of the SPD. The organization stated the aim of becoming the global network of "the progressive, democratic, social-democratic, socialist and labour movement". It was reported that representatives of approximately 70 social-democratic political parties from across the world attended the event. The Progressive Alliance of Socialists and Democrats (S&D) group in the European Parliament joined the organization upon its official foundation. In September 2013 the Democratic Party (DIKO) of Cyprus announced that it was negotiating to join the Progressive Alliance and that its representatives were to attend a seminar of the international in Stockholm on 24 October. On 4–5 December 2014, a Progressive Alliance conference was held in Lisbon for member parties of the S&D group. A regional seminar was held on 25 September 2015 in Batu Ferringhi, Malaysia, which also hosted delegates from the Democratic Action Party of Malaysia, Democratic Party of Japan and Indonesian Democratic Party of Struggle. On 25 April 2016 the organisation held a seminar in São Paulo hosted by the Workers' Party of Brazil.
The Progressive Alliance lists the parties listed here as having been (at some level) "participants" in their conferences. This is not a list of members of the alliance.
- Jean-Jacques Lambin (2014). Rethinking the Market Economy: New Challenges, New Ideas, New Opportunities. Palgrave Macmillan. p. 269. ISBN 978-1-137-39291-6.
- "SPD will Sozialistischer Internationale den Geldhahn zudrehen und den Mitgliedsbeitrag nicht zahlen - SPIEGEL ONLINE". Spiegel.de. 2012-01-22. Retrieved 2013-05-23.
- Sigmar Gabriel (2011-02-03). "Gastbeitrag: Keine Kumpanei mit Despoten | Meinung - Frankfurter Rundschau" (in German). Fr-online.de. Retrieved 2013-05-23.
- Redaktion neues deutschland. "16.12.2012: Sozialdemokraten gründen neue Internationale". neues-deutschland.de. Retrieved 2013-05-23.
- "Progressive Alliance Conference | Partito Democratico". Partitodemocratico.it. Retrieved 2013-05-23.
- "Sigmar Gabriel in Rom | Sozialdemokratische Partei Deutschlands (SPD)" (in German). Spd.de. Retrieved 2013-05-23.
- "Progressive Allianz | Sozialdemokratische Partei Deutschlands (SPD)" (in German). Spd.de. 1999-02-22. Retrieved 2013-05-23.
- "Tense Pasok Leadership Meeting Concludes | Politics | Home". Enetenglish.gr. 2013-05-09. Retrieved 2013-05-23.
- "PvdA steunt oprichting Progressive Alliance | PvdA". Pvda.nl. 2012-12-19. Retrieved 2013-05-23.
- [dead link]
- "Sozialdemokraten wollen Sozialistische Internationale entmachten". Kurier.At. 2013-05-17. Retrieved 2013-05-23.
- "Zimbabwe: Socialist International Calls for Reforms in Zimbabwe". allAfrica.com. 2013-02-06. Retrieved 2013-05-23.
- "Social Democrats Seek Revival on 150th b-day - The Local". Thelocal.de. Retrieved 2013-05-23.
- "Sozialistisch war gestern, progressiv ist heute: SPD lädt zur Gründung eines internationalen Parteiennetzwerkes nach Leipzig – Leipziger Internet Zeitung :: Mehr Nachrichten. Mehr Leipzig". L-iz.de. Retrieved 2013-05-23.
- Von Aert van Riel (2013-04-16). "07.05.2013: SPD spaltet Internationale". neues-deutschland.de. Retrieved 2013-05-23.
- VON EVA QUADBECK - zuletzt aktualisiert: 17.05.2013 (2013-05-17). "Berlin: Kanzlerin kommt zur 150-Jahr-Feier der SPD". Nachrichten.rp-online.de. Retrieved 2013-05-23.
- "Gabriel hofft durch Parteijubiläum auf Motivationsschub". Donaukurier.de. 2013-05-16. Retrieved 2013-05-23.
- "Basic document | Progressive Alliance". Progressive-alliance.info. Retrieved 2013-05-23.
- "A Progressive Network for the 21st Century" (PDF).
- "Leipzig: 70 sozialdemokratische Parteien gründen "Progressive Alliance"". dradio.de. Retrieved 2013-05-23.
- "Sozialdemokratische Parteien gründen neues Bündnis | Aktuell Welt | DW.COM | 22.05.2013". DW.COM. Retrieved 2016-09-20.
- Süddeutsche.de GmbH, Munich, Germany (2012-05-25). "Bruderzwist unter Sozialisten - Politik - Süddeutsche.de". Sueddeutsche.de. Retrieved 2013-05-23.
- "Geschichte : Mehr als 70 sozialdemokratische Parteien bilden Progressive Alliance - Nachrichten Newsticker - News2 (AFP - Newsticker) - DIE WELT". Welt.de. 2011-11-23. Retrieved 2013-05-23.
- "S&D Group joins new Progressive Alliance – 'the network of progressive forces for the 21st century'". Socialistsanddemocrats.eu. 2013-01-24. Retrieved 2013-05-23.
- "Δημοκρατικό Κόμμα - 404". DIKO. Retrieved 21 April 2016.
- "Progressive Alliance Parliamentarian Conference - Decent Work and Education: Investing in Equal Opportunities for All". Retrieved 21 April 2016.
- "Global democratic leaders demand Anwar's release, persecution of government critics to stop". Retrieved 2016-09-20.
- "Folha de S.Paulo - Internacional - En - Brazil - Lula Promises to Fight Rousseff's Impeachment at Progressive Alliance Seminar - 26/04/2016". www1.folha.uol.com.br. Retrieved 2016-09-20.
- "Participants". Retrieved 21 April 2016.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Progressive Alliance.|