Project Morpheus (virtual reality)
A man demos Project Morpheus at 2014's Game Developers Conference.
|Manufacturer||Sony Computer Entertainment|
|Resolution||1920×1080 (960×1080 per eye)|
|Refresh Rate||120 Hz|
|Release Date||Q1 2016|
Project Morpheus is the codename for an upcoming virtual reality headset produced by Sony Computer Entertainment. It is designed to be fully functional with the PlayStation 4 and PlayStation Vita game systems. It is currently a prototype and has no confirmed release date, although Sony says it will be released in the first half of 2016.
The prototype revealed at GDC'15 included an OLED 1920x1080 display (providing 960x1080 per eye) with an RGB subpixel matrix, and will be capable of displaying content at 120fps. It features a high FOV, 6DOF head-tracking, stereoscopic 3D, and unwarped output to a TV for others to view what the user sees.
In early 2014, Sony Computer Entertainment research and development engineer Anton Mikhailov said his team had been working on Project Morpheus for more than three years. According to Mikhailov, the PlayStation 3 Move peripheral, itself revealed in June 2009, was designed with unspecified, future head-mounted technology in mind. "[W]e specced it and built it to be a VR controller, even though VR wasn’t a commodity. As engineers, we just said it was the right thing to do. [...] At the time, we didn't have a consumer-grade project that we could work on, but it was definitely designed with that vision in mind." Shuhei Yoshida, the president of Sony's worldwide studios, also said the project started as "grassroots" activity among engineers and programmers, which came into focus in 2010 once the Move controller had been released.
Project Morpheus was first announced at The 2014 Game Developers Conference. Sony Computer Entertainment Worldwide Studios president Shuhei Yoshida introduced the device on March 18, 2014 and stated Project Morpheus was "the next innovation from PlayStation that will [shape] the future of games."
|Atom Universe||Theme park||Atom Republic|||
|Adrift||Interactive fiction||Three One Zero|||
|Ark: Survival Evolved||Action adventure||Studio Wildcard|||
|Among The Sleep||Survival horror, adventure||Krillbite Studio|||
|Cult County||Renegade Kid|
|Eve Valkyrie||Action, shooter||CCP Games|||
|Futuridium VR||Shoot 'em up||MixedBag Games|
|Get Even||The Farm 51|
|Godling||First person adventure||Solfar Studios|
|Harmonix Music VR||Music & rhythm||Harmonix Music Systems|
|Keep Talking and Nobody Explodes||Puzzle||Steel Crate|||
|Loading Human||Adventure||Untold Games|||
|Mind: Path to Thalamus||Carlos Coronado|||
|Omega Agent||Action||Fireproof Games|||
|Paranormal Activity VR||Horror||VRwerx|
|Project CARS||Racing||Slightly Mad Studios|||
|Q.U.B.E. ²||Puzzle||Toxic Games|||
|Shadow of the Beast||Action-adventure, Platform||Heavy Spectrum Entertainment Labs|
|Summer Lesson||Simulation||Bandai Namco Games|
|Surgeon Simulator||Simulation||Bossa Studios|||
|Synthesis Universe||Maze||Olivier JT|||
|Trackmania Turbo||Racing||Ubisoft Nadeo|
|Untitled project||TBA||Just Add Water|||
|Vanguard V||Action||Zero Transform|||
|War Thunder||Action, MMO||Gaijin Entertainment|||
|Wayward Sky||Puzzle adventure||Uber Entertainment|
|World War Toons||First-person shooter||Reload Studio|
|This section needs additional citations for verification. (November 2014)|
- Bedroom Robots / The Toybox (SCE Japan Studio)
- The Castle (SCEA R&D)
- The Deep (SCE London Studio)
- Hatsune Miku (Sega)
- Jurassic Encounter (Supermassive Games)
- Kitchen (Capcom)
- The London Heist (SCE London Studio)
- Magic Controller (SCE Japan Studio)
- Street Luge (SCE London Studio)
- Summer Lesson (Katsuhiro Harada)
- Thief (Eidos Montréal)
- The Idolmaster One For All (Bandai Namco Games)
Project Morpheus was first demonstrated on The Tonight Show Starring Jimmy Fallon, playing The Castle and as a playable concept during E3 2014. The device was also featured at Sony's PlayStation Experience Expo in Las Vegas, NV in December 2014. Sony announced new information regarding Project Morpheus at the 2015 Game Developers Conference, in line with the official schedule posted on their website and released updated specifications.
- Kelion, Leo. "Sony's Morpheus virtual reality helmet set for 2016 launch". BBC.
- "Sony announces Project Morpheus, a virtual reality headset coming to PlayStation 4". Polygon. Retrieved 2014-07-16.
- Makuch, Eddie (2014-03-20). "PS4's Project Morpheus VR device won't launch in 2014, $1000 price point unlikely". GameSpot. Retrieved 2014-07-16.
- Adam Rosenberg. Sony’s long-standing interest in virtual reality gives Project Morpheus an edge, digitaltrends.com, March 23, 2014.
- Sony’s Anton Mikhailov on Project Morpheus’ launch price and potential as a platform, Edge magazine, April 9, 2014.
- Jamie Feltham. Project Morpheus Started as ‘grassroots activity’ Following PS Move’s Release, vrfocus.com, December 8, 2014.
- "Watch the full reveal for Sony's virtual reality headset, Project Morpheus". Polygon. Mar 26, 2014.
- Jamie Feltham. Atom Universe Greenlight on Steam, vrfocus.com, May 17, 2015.
- Jamie Feltham. Adrift Confirmed for Project Morpheus, , vrfocus.com, May 13, 2015.
- Jesse Rapczak. ARK: Survival Evolved Coming to PS4, Project Morpheus, playstation.com, May 11, 2015.
- Patrick O'Luanaigh. Announcing The Assembly for PS4 and Project Morpheus, playstation.com, June 11, 2014.
- Kuchera, Ben (March 18, 2014). "CCP states EVE: Valkyrie's Oculus co-publishing deal was exclusive to the PC, game coming to PS4". Polygon. Retrieved March 18, 2014.
- Jamie Feltham. Keep Talking and Nobody Explodes Confirmed for Project Morpheus, vrfocus.com, December 6, 2014.
- Jamie Feltham. Loading Human Video Reveals Project Morpheus Development, vrfocus.com, March 31, 2015.
- Jamie Feltham. Mind: Path to Thalamus Coming to Project Morpheus, vrfocus.com, April 3, 2014.
- Jamie Feltham. Fireproof Games Planning Omega Agent for Morpheus, vrfocus.com, April 27, 2015.
- James Plafke. Two games have already been announced for Project Morpheus, ggeek.com, March 29, 2014.
- Dan Da Rocha. Q.U.B.E. ² Coming to PS4, playstation.com, August 14, 2014.
- Mahardy, Mike. (2014-08-14) PlayStation VR Project Morpheus: Surgeon Simulator Getting VR Support Soon. Me.ign.com. Retrieved on 2015-03-13.
- Kevin Joyce. Synthesis Universe -Maze- Confirmed for Project Morpheus, vrfocus.com, May 28, 2015.
- Jamie Feltham. IRIS VR Bringing Technolust IP to Project Morpheus & Vive, vrfocus.com, March 27, 2015.
- "Oddworld: New 'n' Tasty! Dev Teases Project Morpheus Development". VR Focus. 2015-04-30. Retrieved 2015-05-24.
- Jamie Feltham. Vanguard V Confirmed for Project Morpheus, vrfocus.com, December 6, 2014.
- Mike Armbrust. VizionEck, vizioneck.com, June 12, 2015.
- Kyle Hilliard. Project Morpheus Support Coming To War Thunder, gameinformer.com, August 13, 2014.
- Smith, Mat. (2014-09-01) 'Summer Lesson' is the questionable Project Morpheus VR title from the 'Tekken' team. Engadget.com. Retrieved on 2015-03-13.
- 『アイドルマスター ワンフォーオール』プロデューサー活動日誌 AnimeJapan 2014に行って来た＆やよい生誕祭(企画・読み物). Famitsu.com (2014-03-25). Retrieved on 2015-03-13.
- "Joshua Topolsky Demonstrates Sony's Project Morpheus". NBC.
- "VR with Project Morpheus". Sphinx Gamer.
- Feltham, Jamie. "SONY PROVIDING ‘AN UPDATE’ ON PROJECT MORPHEUS AT GDC 2015". VR Focus. Retrieved 4 February 2015.
- Orland, Kyle. "'Sony’s new Project Morpheus prototype boasts 120Hz refresh rate, OLED display'". Ars Technica. Retrieved 5 March 2015.
- Project Morpheus: The Story So Far by VR Focus