PromaxBDA sponsors awards competitions at the global level, as well as in North America, Latin America, Europe, the United Kingdom, Africa, Asia, India, and Australia & New Zealand. There is also a competition at the local level in the United States and Canada.
The awards categories include network TV, TV stations, cable networks, cable systems, network radio, radio stations, syndication distributors, and interactive media. At one point they also included Brandon Tartikoff Award, although it has not been awarded in several years.
The PromaxBDA Global Excellence and North America Awards are handed out each year at PromaxBDA's annual conference in June, which alternates between New York City and Los Angeles.
Promax and Broadcast Design Association
Promax was established in 1956 as a non-profit association for promotion and marketing professionals working in broadcast media. In 1997, The Broadcast Design Association (BDA) who had partnered with Promax for years on their annual conference, officially joined with Promax.
The PromaxBDA awards replaced earlier awards presented separately by Promax and the Broadcast Designers Association (BDA). Thousands of PromaxBDA awards have been presented to companies and individuals whose work is judged by a panel of promotion and marketing professionals using three measures: overall creativity, production quality, and results in achieving marketing objectives.
PromaxBDA is a nonprofit professional association based in Los Angeles, with a branch office in Singapore. PromaxBDA describes itself as "the global association for the entertainment marketing industry, representing thousands of people who create, market, and distribute content in media." Founded in the United States in 1956 as the Broadcast Promotion Association (BPA), in 1985, the organization changed its name to Broadcast Promotion & Marketing Executives (BPME). In 1993, the organization again changed its name to PROMAX (a loose acronym for Promotion and Marketing Executives). A merger with the Broadcast Design Association (BDA) in 1997 created the current association: PromaxBDA. The legal name for the group, which has 501(c)6 status from the IRS, is Promax International BPME.
The association holds conferences, award competitions and prints publications  for their members, and present networking opportunities. Steve Kazanjian is the current President & CEO. The Board of Directors is composed of senior entertainment marketing executives, and is currently chaired by Steph Sebbag, CEO of Los Angeles-based creative agency BPG. Previous PromaxBDA chairs include Joe Earley, President, The Jackal Group (formerly COO, Fox Television Group, , Lisa Gregorian, President & CMO, Warner Bros. Television Group,, Adam Stotsky, Pres. and GM, E!, and Mike Benson, Head of Marketing, Amazon Studios .
PromaxBDA publishes the Daily Brief newsletter.
- Bobbie Whiteman (January 6, 2004). "Promax & BDA skeds Euro speakers". Variety.
- "Colin Mangham to Judge Promax/BDA Awards". The Daily Brand. May 1, 2009. Retrieved March 24, 2010.[permanent dead link]
- Mary Sutter (April 19, 2001). "Wolf, Mandabach at Promax". Variety.
- "BLOG.lenodal.com : actualité des identités [télé]visuelles". blog.lenodal.com.
- "BLOG.lenodal.com : Les lauréats français des Promax World 2014". blog.lenodal.com.
- "WHO IS PROMAX·BDA?". PromaxBDA. Archived from the original on 2009-04-19. Retrieved 2009-04-19.
- "PromaxBDA - About Us". promaxbda.org.
- "The Museum of Broadcast Communications - Encyclopedia of Television - Broadcast Promotion and Marketing Executives". www.museum.tv.
- "VISIONARIES INNOVATORS POWER BROKERS: 40 Under Forty". Multichannel news. March 29, 2010. Retrieved May 4, 2010.
- "Steve Kazanjian Appointed CEO of PromaxBDA". The Hollywood Reporter. Retrieved 30 April 2015.
- "About: Board of Directors". PromaxBDA. Retrieved 30 April 2015.
- "Lisa Gregorian". www.warnerbros.com.
- "PromaxBDA names two co-chairmen".
- "- PromaxBDA Brief". www.promaxbda.org.