|Parent||Baring Private Equity Asia|
Prometric, also known as Prometric Testing, is a U.S.-based company in the test administration industry. Its corporate headquarters is located in Canton (Baltimore, Maryland) in the United States. Prometric operates a test center network composed of thousands of sites in 160 countries. Many examinations are administered at Prometric sites, including those from the India-Common Entrance Test, North American Veterinary Licensing Examination, and Secondary School Admission Test.
Prometric's computerized testing centers were founded by Drake International in 1990 under the name Drake Prometric. In 1995, Drake Prometric L.P. was sold to Sylvan Learning in a cash and stock deal worth approximately $44.5 million. The acquired business was renamed Sylvan Prometric, then sold to Thomson Corporation in 2000. The Thomson Corporation announced its desire to sell Prometric in the fall of 2006, and Educational Testing Service announced plans to acquire it. On Monday, October 15, 2007, Educational Testing Service (ETS) closed its acquisition of Prometric from the Thomson Corporation. Prometric co-sponsored the 10th Annual International Conference on Medical Regulation, which took place at the Ottawa Convention Centre in Ontario, Canada in October 2012.
In August 2022, Prometric acquired Finetune, an AI-assisted assessment and learning technology tool. 
Prometric sells a range of services, including test development, test delivery, and data management capabilities. Prometric delivers and administers tests to approximately 500 clients in the academic, professional, government, corporate and information technology markets. While there are 3,000 Prometric test centers across the world, including every U.S. state and territory (except Wake Island), whether a particular test can be taken outside the U.S. depends on the testing provider. For example, despite the fact that Prometric test centers exist worldwide, some exams are only offered in the country where the client program exists. The locations where a test is offered, as well as specific testing procedures for the day of the exam, are dictated by the client.
Prometric has faced criticism by many test takers as a result of its lack of accountability and mismanagement. Many accuse the service of having monopoly power, since the test they desire to take is only offered through a Prometric center.
In 2009, the company faced a hurdle due to widespread technical problems on one of India's MBA entrance exams, the Common Admission Test. Over 8000 test takers were affected. In 2011, Prometric lost the contract for conducting the Oracle certification exam and they were replaced by Pearson VUE. In 2014, the IBM Professional Certification Program exam delivery was moved from Prometric to Pearson VUE Test Centers. In 2014, Prometric lost the bid for conducting it second time to an Indian tech firm. In 2014, a latency issue affected one Prometric-administered test, namely the AIPGMEE. In 2014, Microsoft ended its exam partnership with Prometric. In 2017, Prometric lost the contract for conducting the Medical College Admission Test (MCAT) exam. They were replaced with Pearson VUE. That same year, Charles Kernan was appointed as the new President and CEO of Prometric, replacing Michael Brannick. Brannick had held the position since 2001.In 2019, Project Management Institute (PMI) ended its exam partnership with Prometric. They were replaced with Pearson VUE. In 2020, as a result of COVID-19, Prometric cancelled exams including the United States Medical Licensing Examinations (USMLE) and the Comprehensive Osteopathic Medical Licensing Examination (COMLEX) in compliance with local and national regulations. On February 21, 2021, Prometric was found in a civil trial to have terminated a test evaluator in September 2018 as retaliation for his continued attempts to highlight a potential discrimination issue in one of their Washington Home Care Aide tests (poor translation of the Somali version). The reason for termination was found to be a pretext, and after some public exposure the company changed the test as the evaluator had recommended.
- "National Board of Examinations (NBE) - India". www.prometric.com. Archived from the original on 2017-09-10. Retrieved 2017-09-12.
- "ICVA - International Council For Veterinary Assessment | Prometric". www.prometric.com. Archived from the original on 2020-11-30. Retrieved 2020-12-18.
- "SSAT Prometric Computerized Testing | Official SSAT.org". www.ssat.org. Archived from the original on 2021-10-29. Retrieved 2021-10-11.
- "Drake International early years". Archived from the original on 2012-06-19.
- "Sylvan to acquire test firm". Archived from the original on 2013-02-20. Retrieved 2012-10-15.
- "Thomson Acquires Prometric". Archived from the original on 2020-08-31. Retrieved 2009-12-07.
- ETS news ETS to Acquire Prometric Archived 2011-07-26 at the Wayback Machine
- "The Thomson Corporation to sell Prometric to ETS" (Press release). Thomson Reuters. 2007-07-02. Archived from the original on 2010-08-20.
- "10th International Conference on Medical Regulation - Sponsors". BUKSA Strategic Conference Services. Archived from the original on 2012-10-05. Retrieved 2022-09-27.
- "INTERIM REPORT 2018" (PDF). Partners Group. Archived (PDF) from the original on 2019-05-07. Retrieved 2019-05-07.
- "Prometric Announces Roy Simrell as New CEO | Prometric". www.prometric.com. Archived from the original on 2020-08-31. Retrieved 2020-06-15.
- "Prometric LLC Acquires Finetune®". ca.finance.yahoo.com. Retrieved 2022-08-04.
- "QAI India Ltd Announces A Partnership with Prometric". Archived from the original on 2014-12-15. Retrieved 2014-12-15.
- the official Irish RSA Driver Theory Test booking site Archived 2012-02-17 at the Wayback Machine. TheoryTest.ie. Retrieved on 2013-08-17.
- Alex, Zubair; er (3 June 2014). "Microsoft Once Again Decides to End Prometric's Monopoly as an Exam Delivery Provider | Alexander's Blog". Retrieved 2020-07-15.
- "USMLE Testing Chaos May Harm Current and Future Doctors". Medscape. Archived from the original on 2020-07-14. Retrieved 2020-07-15.
- "Prometric is rated "Bad" with 1.3 / 5 on Trustpilot". Trustpilot. Archived from the original on 2020-07-15. Retrieved 2020-07-15.
- "IIM-A names 2 viruses that caused CAT chaos - Times of India". The Times of India. Archived from the original on 2009-12-03. Retrieved 2009-12-07.
- "Pearson VUE Exam Transition: What If I Had An Exam Scheduled at Prometric After May 31?". Oracle University Blog. 2011-05-25. Archived from the original on 2019-08-22. Retrieved 2019-08-22.
- "IBM Exam Changes: From Prometric to Pearson VUE with NEW Exam Codes – IT Certifications Blog". Archived from the original on 2019-09-05. Retrieved 2019-09-05.
- "CAT 2014 exam: Why TCS got CAT 2014 and Prometric lost". www.mbauniverse.com. Archived from the original on 2014-12-20. Retrieved 2014-12-11.
- "Medicos Irked by Technical Glitches in NBE's Exam System". The New Indian Express. Archived from the original on 2021-09-13. Retrieved 2021-09-13.
- "Microsoft Ends Exam Partnership with Prometric". 16 July 2014. Archived from the original on 25 October 2016. Retrieved 3 July 2017.
- "Pearson VUE to deliver Medical College Admission Test® (MCAT®) beginning in 2018". Pearson VUE. 2017. Archived from the original on 2017-12-01.
- "PROMETRIC APPOINTS CHARLES KERNAN AS PRESIDENT AND CEO". Prometric. 2017-06-13. Archived from the original on 2017-12-01.
- "Profile: Michael Brannick". LinkedIn. 2017.[dead link]
- "PMI and Pearson VUE partner to deliver full suite of certification exams in over 5000 locations". PMI. 2019-04-23. Archived from the original on 2019-07-28. Retrieved 2019-08-21.
- "Corona Virus Update | Prometric". www.prometric.com. Archived from the original on 2020-06-18. Retrieved 2020-06-15.
- Fowler, Lilly. "Would-be home health workers claim bias in state's qualifying exam | Crosscut". crosscut.com. Archived from the original on 2020-11-09. Retrieved 2021-03-30.