Whitsunday Coast Airport
|Whitsunday Coast Airport
Proserpine/Whitsunday Coast Airport
|IATA: PPP – ICAO: YBPN|
|Owner||Whitsunday Regional Council|
|Operator||Whitsunday Regional Council|
|Location||Proserpine, Queensland, Australia|
|Elevation AMSL||82 ft / 25 m|
Whitsunday Coast Airport (IATA: PPP, ICAO: YBPN) (also known as Proerpine Airport) is located 14 kilometres south of Proserpine in Queensland, Australia. The airport is the main gateway for travellers to and from the Whitsunday Islands with Jetstar Airways and Virgin Australia operatng flights to Brisbane.
In the year ending 30 June 2014, the airport handled 282,000 passengers.
In September 2001, the airport suffered heavily from the collapse of Ansett Australia, who at the time were the biggest operator out of Proserpine with direct services to Brisbane, Sydney and Melbourne. It also operated seasonal flights to the Gold Coast and Adelaide.
The airport underwent an upgrade in 2010. The upgraded terminal was officially opened on 20 December 2011.
In January 2014, Whitsunday Regional Council announced it was to discuss with the Government of Queensland the process for designating the airport precinct a PDA (Priority Development Area). This would make the future process of extending the runway the relatively short distance required to receive international services easier and to alleviate the industrial land crisis that has been affecting the Whitsunday Region for many years.
Airlines and destinations
- PDF). AIP En Route Supplement from Airservices Australia, effective 29 May 2014, Aeronautical Chart (
- Airport Flight Departures Airport Guide
- Whitsunday Council moves ahead with airport long-term leasing plan, stresses no sale ABC News 23 October 2015
- "Whitsunday Coast Airport Upgrade". Queensland Government Department of Employment, Economic Development & Innovation. Retrieved 18 March 2012.
- "Council starts airport discussions". APN. Retrieved 4 January 2014.
- $59 million upgrade planned for Whitsunday Coast Airport Daily Mercury 23 July 2015
- Beautiful one day, airport up for sale the next Australian Financial Review 17 September 2015
- Airport Transfers Whitsunday Transit
- Media related to Whitsunday Coast Airport at Wikimedia Commons
- Dick Smith safety report on Proserpine Tower
- Department of Infrastructure and Planning - Whitsunday Coast Airport terminal upgrade