Prospect Township, Marion County, Ohio
|Prospect Township, Marion County, Ohio|
Fields east of Prospect
Location of Prospect Township in Marion County
|• Total||24.3 sq mi (62.9 km2)|
|• Land||24.2 sq mi (62.8 km2)|
|• Water||0.1 sq mi (0.2 km2)|
|Elevation||928 ft (283 m)|
|• Density||91.1/sq mi (35.2/km2)|
|Time zone||Eastern (EST) (UTC-5)|
|• Summer (DST)||EDT (UTC-4)|
|GNIS feature ID||1086583|
Prospect Township is one of the fifteen townships of Marion County, Ohio, United States. The 2000 census found 2,207 people in the township, 1,016 of whom lived in the unincorporated portions of the township.
Located in the southern part of the county, it borders the following townships:
- Pleasant Township - northeast
- Waldo Township - east
- Marlboro Township, Delaware County - southeast corner
- Radnor Township, Delaware County - south, east of Thompson Township
- Thompson Township, Delaware County - south, west of Radnor Township
- Claibourne Township, Union County - southwest
- Jackson Township, Union County - west
- Green Camp Township - northwest
The village of Prospect is located in southern Prospect Township.
Name and history
It is the only Prospect Township statewide.
The township is governed by a three-member board of trustees, who are elected in November of odd-numbered years to a four-year term beginning on the following January 1. Two are elected in the year after the presidential election and one is elected in the year before it. There is also an elected township fiscal officer, who serves a four-year term beginning on April 1 of the year after the election, which is held in November of the year before the presidential election. Vacancies in the fiscal officership or on the board of trustees are filled by the remaining trustees.
- "US Board on Geographic Names". United States Geological Survey. 2007-10-25. Retrieved 2008-01-31.
- "American FactFinder". United States Census Bureau. Retrieved 2008-01-31.
- Marion County, Ohio — Population by Places Estimates Ohio State University, 2007. Accessed 15 May 2007.
- "Detailed map of Ohio" (PDF). United States Census Bureau. 2000. Retrieved 2007-02-16.
- §503.24, §505.01, and §507.01 of the Ohio Revised Code. Accessed 4/30/2009.