Human Prostaglandin-D2 synthase. PDB
|PDB structures||RCSB PDB PDBe PDBsum|
|Gene Ontology||AmiGO / EGO|
- (5Z,13E)-(15S)-9alpha,11alpha-epidioxy-15-hydroxyprosta-5,13- dienoate (5Z,13E)-(15S)-9alpha,15-dihydroxy-11-oxoprosta-5,13-dienoate
Thus, the substrate of this enzyme is (5Z,13E)-(15S)-9alpha,11alpha-epidioxy-15-hydroxyprosta-5,13-dienoate, whereas its product is (5Z,13E)-(15S)-9alpha,15-dihydroxy-11-oxoprosta-5,13-dienoate.
This enzyme belongs to the family of isomerases, specifically a class of other intramolecular oxidoreductases. The systematic name of this enzyme class is (5,13)-(15S)-9alpha,11alpha-epidioxy-15-hydroxyprosta-5,13-dienoate Delta-isomerase. Other names in common use include prostaglandin-H2 Delta-isomerase, prostaglandin-R-prostaglandin D isomerase, and PGH-PGD isomerase. This enzyme participates in arachidonic acid metabolism.
In March 2012 American scientists reported a discovery that shows this enzyme triggers male baldness According to the discovery, levels of this enzyme are elevated in the cells of hair follicles located in bald patches on the scalp, but not in hairy areas. The research could lead to a cream to treat baldness.
- Garza, L. A.; Liu, Y.; Yang, Z.; Alagesan, B.; Lawson, J. A.; Norberg, S. M.; Loy, D. E.; Zhao, T.; Blatt, H. B.; Stanton, D. C.; Carrasco, L.; Ahluwalia, G.; Fischer, S. M.; Fitzgerald, G. A.; Cotsarelis, G. (2012). "Prostaglandin D2 Inhibits Hair Growth and is Elevated in Bald Scalp of Men with Androgenetic Alopecia". Science Translational Medicine. 4 (126): 126ra34. doi:10.1126/scitranslmed.3003122. PMC . PMID 22440736.
- Christ-Hazelhof E, Nugteren DH (1979). "Purification and characterisation of prostaglandin endoperoxide D-isomerase, a cytoplasmic, glutathione-requiring enzyme". Biochim. Biophys. Acta. 572 (1): 43–51. doi:10.1016/0005-2760(79)90198-x. PMID 32914.
- Shimizu T, Yamamoto S, Hayaishi O (1979). "Purification and properties of prostaglandin D synthetase from rat brain". J. Biol. Chem. 254 (12): 5222–8. PMID 109431.
- Sri Kantha,S. Prostaglandin D syntha (beta-trace protein) - a molecular clock to trace the origin of REM sleep? Medical Hypotheses, 1997; 48: 411-412.
|This isomerase article is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|