Prostitution Reform Act 2003
|Prostitution Reform Act|
|New Zealand Parliament|
|Royal assent||27 June 2003|
|Commenced||28 June 2003|
|Administered by||Ministry of Justice|
|Introduced by||Tim Barnett|
|Massage Parlours Act 1978|
|Status: Current legislation|
The Prostitution Reform Act 2003 is an Act of Parliament that decriminalised prostitution in New Zealand. The act also gave new rights to sex workers. It has attracted international attention, although its reception has been mixed. The Act repealed the Massage Parlours Act 1978 and the associated regulations.
Purpose of Act
Section 3 of the Act defines its purpose:
The purpose of this Act is to decriminalise prostitution (while not endorsing or morally sanctioning prostitution or its use) and to create a framework that—
- (a) safeguards the human rights of sex workers and protects them from exploitation:
- (b) promotes the welfare and occupational health and safety of sex workers:
- (c) is conducive to public health:
- (d) prohibits the use in prostitution of persons under 18 years of age:
- (e) implements certain other related reforms.— Prostitution Reform Act 2003 s3
- "Prostitution Law Reform in New Zealand". www.parliament.nz. New Zealand Parliament. July 2012. Retrieved 23 April 2019.
- Healy, Catherine (20 June 2018). "Commentary: New Zealand's full decriminalisation means police and sex workers collaborate to try to reduce violence". BMJ. 361. doi:10.1136/bmj.k2666. ISSN 0959-8138. Retrieved 23 April 2019.
- Armstrong, Lynzi (29 May 2017). "Decriminalisation is the only way to protect sex workers – New Zealand has proved it". The Independent. Retrieved 23 April 2019.
- Bindel, Julie (30 April 2018). "Prostitution is not a job. The inside of a woman's body is not a workplace". The Guardian. Retrieved 23 April 2019.
- Prostitution Reform Act 2003, Part 4 Miscellaneous provisions
- "Prostitution Reform Act 2003 No 28 (as at 26 November 2018), Public Act 3 Purpose". www.legislation.govt.nz. New Zealand Legislation. Retrieved 23 April 2019.
- Prostitution Reform Act 2003 - text of the Act