Prostitution in American Samoa
Prostitution in American Samoa is illegal, as are related activities such as brothel keeping and pimping. These acts are punishable by law, including a fine of more than $500 or a jail sentence of up to a year for customers of prostitution. Prostitution occurs in bars and nightclubs, and in boats moored in the harbours.
Although an Unincorporated territory of the United States, American Samoa is self-governing and has its own laws.
Chapter 37 of Title 46 (Criminal Justice) of the American Samoa Code legislates against prostitution and related activities:
- 46.3701 Definitions. (defines terms used in the legislation)
- 46.3702 Prostitution. (criminalises the act of prostitution)
- 46.3703 Patronizing prostitution. (criminalises purchase of sex)
- 46.3704 Prostitution and patronizing prostitution - Sex of parties no defense (makes offences gender neutral)
- 46.3705 Promoting prostitution in the first degree. (criminalises forced prostitution and child prostitution)
- 46.3706 Promoting prostitution in the second degree. (criminalises pimping, procuring and brothel keeping)
- 46.3707 Prostitution houses considered public nuisances. (gives courts the power to close premisis used for prostitution for up to a year)
In 2007, five Chinese nationals were jailed for trafficking Chinese women into the country to work as prostitutes in bars and nightclubs. The two ringleaders were sentenced to 62 and 63 months imprisonment. The victims has their passports taken away, weren't paid, and weren't allowed to leave until they had paid off their ever-increasing debts.
Law enforcement officers raided the U.S. territory's Office of Immigration in January 2010. It was alleged that in the previous 6 months immigration officials had waived through trafficking victims without performing the required checks on people entering the country. Possibly hundreds of victims were brought through in this manner during the period. The women being used by a prostitution ring.
- Godwin, John (October 2012). "Sex Work and the Law in Asia and the Pacific" (PDF). UNAIDS.
- Baker & Dalla, R & L (2011). Global Perspectives on Prostitution and Sex Trafficking: Africa, Asia, Middle East, and Oceania. p. 288.
- "Two women in American Samoa sentenced over prosititution". Fiji One. 11 January 2015. Retrieved 3 February 2018.
- "Two Chinese Nationals Sentenced for Sex Trafficking Charges in American Samoa". Department of Justice. 4 January 2008. Retrieved 3 February 2018.
- "Prostitution Being Tackled In American Samoa". Pacific Islands Report. 24 February 2000. Retrieved 3 February 2018.
- Page 244 Samuel J. Rogal, A William Somerset Maugham Encyclopedia. Greenwood Publishing Group, 1997.
- "Code Annotated Chapter 37 - Prostitution". American Samoa Bar Association. Retrieved 3 February 2018.
- "Proposed human trafficking law in American Samoa draws reactions". Radio New Zealand. 10 September 2013. Retrieved 3 February 2018.
- "American Samoa prostitution ringleaders jailed". Radio Australia. 19 December 2011. Retrieved 3 February 2018.
- "Authorities raid American Samoa immigration office". San Diego Union Tribune. 8 January 2010. Retrieved 3 February 2018.
- "Trafficking in Persons Report (10th Ed. )" (PDF). United States Department of State. June 2010. Retrieved 3 February 2018.
- "New American Samoa law fights human trafficking". NewsOK. 2 April 2014. Retrieved 3 February 2018.