Protem is an unincorporated community in southeastern Taney County, Missouri, United States. It is located on Route 125 and is about two miles north of the Missouri-Arkansas state line. Protem is part of the Branson, Missouri Micropolitan Statistical Area.
A post office called Protem has been in operation since 1875. The name comes from pro tem (Latin for "temporary"), because first settlers could not settle on a name and a temporary one (which became permanent) was needed.
- U.S. Geological Survey Geographic Names Information System: Protem, Missouri
- Protem. Missouri, 7.5 Minute Topographic Quadrangle, USGS, 1968
- "Post Offices". Jim Forte Postal History. Retrieved 27 December 2016.
- "Taney County Place Names, 1928–1945". The State Historical Society of Missouri. Archived from the original on June 24, 2016. Retrieved December 27, 2016.
- Moyer, Armond; Moyer, Winifred (1958). The origins of unusual place-names. Keystone Pub. Associates. p. 107.
|This Taney County, Missouri state location article is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|