This article has multiple issues. Please help improve it or discuss these issues on the talk page. (Learn how and when to remove these template messages)(Learn how and when to remove this template message)
|Type||Virtual private network service|
ProtonVPN is a virtual private network (VPN) service provider operated by the Swiss company Proton Technologies AG the company behind the email service ProtonMail. According to ProtonVPN's official website, ProtonVPN and ProtonMail share the same management team, offices, and technical resources, and is operated from Proton's headquarters in Geneva, Switzerland under the protection of Swiss privacy laws.
Proton Technologies AG, the company behind ProtonVPN and the email service ProtonMail, is supported by the Fondation Genevoise pour l'Innovation Technologique (FONGIT), a non-profit foundation financed by the Swiss Federal Commission for Technology and Innovation, and the European Commission. Proton has also partnered with Mozilla, the makers of the open source Firefox web browser to offer VPN to Firefox users.
ProtonVPN has (as of 06 January 2020) a total of 628 servers, sited in 44 different countries. All servers are owned and operated by ProtonVPN through the company's network. Its service is available for Windows, MacOS, Android, and iOS, and also has a command-line tool for Linux.
ProtonVPN utilizes OpenVPN (UDP/TCP) and the IKEv2 protocol, with AES-256 encryption. The company has a strict no-logging policy for user connection data, and also prevents DNS and Web-RTC leaks from exposing users' true IP addresses. ProtonVPN also includes Tor access support and a kill switch to shut off Internet access in the event of a lost VPN connection.
In January 2020, ProtonVPN became the first VPN provider to release its source code on all platforms and conduct an independent security audit. ProtonVPN is the only VPN to do so, even though experts say this is a crucial factor in deciding whether to trust a VPN service.
A February 2019 PC Magazine UK review rated ProtonVPN at 4 out of 5, saying "When we first reviewed ProtonVPN, it was a young service looking to expand. It certainly has done that, and the service is definitely better now. It's still unclear if the company will be able to scale up to match its competitors, given its exacting standards for physical security. But that's a worry for the future. Right now, ProtonVPN is an excellent service at an unbeatable range of prices."
- ProtonVPN. "About Us". About ProtonVPN.
- European Commission. "CORDIS European Commission". ProtonSuite Project H2020.
- Mozilla. "Testing new ways to keep you safe online".
- "ProtonVPN - About Us". ProtonVPN. Retrieved 2020-01-06.
- Williams 2019-04-17T20:03:25ZUtilities, Mike. "ProtonVPN review". TechRadar. Retrieved 2019-07-16.
- Freeware, Brian Nadel 2018-11-16T20:00:00Z. "ProtonVPN Free Review". Tom's Guide. Retrieved 2019-07-16.
- May 15, Rob Mardisalu · Read user reviews; review, 2019 In this; service, I’ll test out their; short, see how it performs vs other free VPN providers In; All, It’s Not That Bad at. "ProtonVPN Review - Performance Test & Inside Look (2019)". TheBestVPN.com. Retrieved 2019-07-16.
- Williams, Mike (17 September 2019). "ProtonVPN review". TechRadar.
- Williams, Mike (16 November 2018). "ProtonVPN Free review". TechRadar.
- Max Eddy (28 February 2019). "ProtonVPN". PCMag UK. Retrieved 6 January 2020.