Providencia stuartii (commonly P. stuartii), is a Gram negative bacillus that is commonly found in soil, water, and sewage. P. stuartii is the most common of the 5 species found in the genus Providencia, with Providencia rettgeri, Providencia alcalifaciens, Providencia rustigianii, P heimbachae. Providencia stuartii can be incubated at 37 °C in nutrient agar or nutrient broth. P. stuartii is the genomic source for the restriction endonuclease, PstI. Some other important information about P. stuartii is that it is motile via flagella, non-sporulating, non-lactose fermenting, catalase positive and oxidase negative. It can also grow in anaerobic conditions and on Simmon’s Citrate Agar. 
Role in diseases
Providencia stuartii is the most common Providencia species capable of causing human infections. Providencia stuartii is an opportunistic pathogen seen in patients with severe burns or long-term indwelling urinary catheters. This puts elderly individuals at a greater risk for P. stuartii infections. In animals P. stuartii infections can cause neonatal diarrhea due to P. stuartii infection in dairy cows. In humans, P. stuartii can be isolated from urine (most common), stool, and blood, as well as from sputum, skin, and wound cultures. P. stuartii sepsis is primarily of urinary origin. It is the most common cause of purple urine bag syndrome. Upon physical examination, P stuartii bloodstream infection is associated with fever, tachycardia, and hypotension.
- "Providencia Infections". Medscape.
- "Providencia stuartii". theLabRat.com.
- "Bergey's Manual of Systematic Bacteriology". Springer Verlag.
- Lin, CH; Huang HT; Chien CC; et al. (December 2008). "Purple urine bag syndrome in nursing homes: ten elderly case reports and a literature review". Clinical Interventions in Aging. 3 (4): 729–734. PMC 2682405. PMID 19281065.
|Wikispecies has information related to Providencia stuartii|
- DSMZ German Collection of Microorganisms and Cell Cultures
- Type strain of Providencia stuartii at BacDive - the Bacterial Diversity Metadatabase