Province of Jaén (Spain)
Map of Spain with Jaén highlighted
|• President||Francisco Reyes (PSOE)|
|• Total||13,484 km2 (5,206 sq mi)|
|Area rank||Ranked 14th|
|• Rank||Ranked 23rd|
|• Density||49/km2 (130/sq mi)|
Jaén (Spanish pronunciation: [xaˈen]) is a province of southern Spain, in the eastern part of the autonomous community of Andalusia. It is bordered by the provinces of Ciudad Real, Albacete, Granada and Córdoba. Its capital is Jaén city.
One of the less-known provinces of Spain, compared to the heavily-tourist-oriented coast, it has four national parks and many other protected natural areas. The province also contains two Renaissance cities, Úbeda and Baeza, both recently declared World Heritage Sites by UNESCO. The province has among the highest concentration of castles in the world outside the Levant thanks to its strategic position during the Reconquista.
The province is the largest producer of olive oil in the world. It produces around 45% of all Spanish olive oil and 20% of the world's production. For this reason the province is also known as World Capital of Olive Oil. There are more than 66 million olive trees, spread over a surface of 550,000 hectares. The province alone produces more olive oil than the entire country of Italy. The province's production in 2013 was 749.387 tonnes of olive oil.
- "Objetivo: Pico Mágina (Jaén)". www.sendanatura.com (in Spanish). Retrieved March 17, 2015.
- Ginés Donaire. "Tierra de castillos y batallas". El País.
- "An Olive Oil Cultural Center And Museum in Jaén". Olive Oil Times. Retrieved 2015-10-10.
- Sandro Pozzi. Elpais.com (ed.). "Spanish olive oil lights up Times Square". www.elpais.com. Retrieved January 21, 2017.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Province of Jaén.|
- (in Spanish) Despeñaperros Natural Park
- (in Spanish) Sierra de Andújar Natural Park
- (in Spanish) Sierra Mágina Natural Park
- (in Spanish) Sierras de Cazorla, Segura y Las Villas Natural Park
- (in Spanish) Cazorla, Segura y Las Villas
- (in English) Photo album from La Iruela Castle - Jaén - Andalusia
|This article about a location in Andalusia, Spain, is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|