Provisional Institutions of Self-Government
|This article is outdated. (November 2010)|
|This article is part of a series on the
politics and government of
|Constitution and law|
The Provisional Institutions of Self-Government (Albanian: Institucionet e përkohshme të vetëqeverisjes, Serbian: Привремене институције самоуправе, Privremene institucije samouprave) or 'PISG' were the local administrative bodies in Kosovo established by the United Nations administration ('UNMIK'), under the terms of UNSCR 1244. That resolution, which ended the Kosovo conflict of 1999, provided for an interim international administration for Kosovo which would establish and oversee the development of "provisional, democratic self-governing institutions". Kosovo is the subject of a long-running political and territorial dispute between the Serbian (and previously, the Yugoslav) government versus Kosovo's largely ethnic-Albanian population. Whilst formerly a part of Serbia, international negotiations began in 2006 to determine the final status of Kosovo (see also Constitutional status of Kosovo and Kosovo Status Process).
In May 2001, UNMIK promulgated a Constitutional Framework which established these Provisional Institutions of Self-Government (PISG). Since 2001, UNMIK gradually transferred increased administrative competencies to the PISG. UNMIK has established municipal government and an internationally supervised Kosovo Police Service.
The Provisional Institutions comprised:
- The Assembly of Kosovo, which elects a President of Kosovo;
- The Government of Kosovo, with a Prime Minister of Kosovo nominated by the President and endorsed by the Assembly;
- The Judicial System of Kosovo, which is appointed by the SRSG from a list endorsed by the Assembly after being proposed by the Judicial and Prosecutorial Council.
Kosovo declared independence in 2008.
- "UNMIK – Civil Administration". 2008. Retrieved 2008-02-20.
- "Ending of supervised independence 10 September 2012". International Civilian Office. Retrieved 6 January 2013.
- "Sixteenth and final meeting of the International Steering Group for Kosovo" (PDF). International Civilian Office. 10 September 2012. Retrieved 6 January 2013.
- Structure of the Provisional Institutions of Self-Government (PDF)
- Kosovo Assembly