Proviso Township High Schools District 209
High Schools District 209
|8601 W. Roosevelt Road|
Forest Park, Illinois
|Type||public secondary district|
|Superintendent||Dr. Jesse J. Rodriguez|
Proviso Township High Schools District 209, established in 1910, is located in western Cook County, Illinois, USA near Chicago. Its headquarters are in Forest Park. The district encompasses most of Proviso Township, excluding the extreme southern portion. The district's motto is the Latin Nihil Nisi Optimum, which translates to Nothing But The Best.
The district operates three campuses.
- Proviso East High School in Maywood opened in 1911. The school was originally named Proviso Township High School, but was renamed Proviso East in 1958 with the opening of its sister school.
- Proviso West High School in Hillside opened in 1958. The school was designed by the noted Chicago architectural firm of Perkins and Will.
- The Proviso Mathematics and Science Academy in Forest Park opened in 2005. Its campus is also the home of the district administration offices.
On the Prairie State Achievement exam, 22.5% of students met or exceeded standards for academic year 2008–09. The state average was 53%. Proviso Township High Schools ranked 26th of 27 high school districts serving suburban Cook County.
The district's alumni include ten current or former NBA players who have collectively won three NBA Championships, an Olympic track medalist, four current or former NFL players (one of whom is in the Pro Football Hall of Fame), and two astronauts, one of whom was the last man to walk on the moon.
- "About Proviso Township High Schools District 209 Archived 2017-04-12 at the Wayback Machine." Proviso Township High Schools District 209. Retrieved on February 23, 2014.
- Proviso Township High Schools District 209 Website
- District statistics from Interactive Illinois Report Card
|This Illinois school-related article is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|